3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update kb 928366 (XP Pro SP2)

Edited by HansV to replace Word attachment with the pictures it contained.

I have been unable to install the security update for Net Framework 1.1.
    Have tried several times, using the Windows Update download and install routine, and also downloaded the file itself from the MS site- again refused to install.
    Error messages shown during attempted install (of the downloaded file) attached.
    I do have Net Framework 2 as well ( I read somewhere that both versions should be kept- can't recall the reason).
    The other updates in yesterday's batch installed without problems, including Net Framework 2.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Windows Update kb 928366 (XP Pro SP2)

I'd uninstall .Net 1.1 and re-install. You can get it from Download details: .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package and then SP-1 from Download details: .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. Then try Windows Update again.

BTW, you should have both versons because some software requires 1.1 functionality that has been changed in such a way that it will not work in 2.0.
    Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem (on one of three machines). Uninstalled Net 1.1 Service pack1, then uninstalled Net 1.1. Downloaded fresh copies of both, installed in order. The update went successfully (like jperez says).
    Adam

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Joe and Adam. And thanks for reinforcing the decision to keep both versions.
    I had no problems following your advice. Interestingly, I have read elsewhere that some have found it much more complicated, and have had to do take complex steps including a registry hack to resolve the issue.