5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2003 to 7 issues (2007)

I have a CD for the Office 2007 trial version and currently have Office 2003 on my computer. Will 2007 install without an activation key? I only want to "trial" the software and my computer doesn't have easy internet access..
    Is it possible for me to keep 2003 and still install 2007? I am not likely at this point to want to keep 2007 and will wish to revert back to 2003. Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2003 to 7 issues (2007)

If you are likely to revert to Office 2003, I wouldn't install Office 2007 on the same machine. Although you can install each in a different folder, there are some components that will be overwritten. I'd either install 2007 on a separate PC, or create a dual boot setup.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately I need them on the same machine. Will a 'dual boot' resolve issues? Where do I start to investigate this process? Would creating, and returning to, a Restore Point help? Thanks, Andy.

Thanks

A dual boot would be fine, as would a Virtual Machine. I suspect a restore point would work too but I don't know for sure.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A restore point would work, but returning to it would also undo all other changes to the Operating System (such as Windows updates) and software. And keep in mind that your system stores only a limited number of restore points, so after a while the older ones are removed.

Do a Google search for "dual boot" if you want to know more about that option.

Thanks

Andy,
    Your trial version of Office 2007 should come with a key that you should receive via e-mail from Microsoft.
    Although I didn't make a restoration point as Hans suggested I realize how dumb that was of me. I had no problems installing '07 on the same computer that I was running '03 on. When I first did it 07' was in beta and it wasn't at all ready for prime time. I uninstalled it and went right back to '03 w/o any problems.
    But as Hans stated do a restoration point first. Ya just never know!.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you didn't get it to work or if anyone else is interested, you can get a trial version of Office 2007 from Microsoft's Office Downloads site HERE. My one concern is that I think I learned from a reliable source (such as MS) that you can run all applications from both versions at the same time on a single computer with one exception, and the exception is Outlook. Unfortunately, I can't place my source and if anyone can shed light on that it would be helpful to all trial users.

You get to keep the new fonts after the trial is over, and OneNote is an interesting application to test.

Thanks

"if anyone can shed light on that it would be helpful to all trial users"

Have a look at this MSKB article .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions