4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl Characters in Fields (word 2003)

Dear Loungers,

Is it possible to introduce a line break (for example) into fileds such as Subject, Title or a custom text field?

The reason is that I have a dialogue to help the user craete the required field information that populates covers, headers & footers. In some cases on a cover line breaks are quired at specific points so that the item such as a project or organisation name does not break in an inconvenient or visually nonsensical way.

thank you................ liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ctrl Characters in Fields (word 2003)

You can do so in VBA code, e.g.

ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties(wdPropert yCompany) ="The company with" & vbCr & "the rather long name"

But as soon as you edit the property in the File | Properties dialog, the line break will disappear. So you can only edit the property using VBA.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

thank you! On eof the biggest problems if you are not using VBA everyday is finding some reasonable help. i have a couple of books but wonder if you or anyone has come across any good books. i seem to need a strange mixture of quite basic information but also am doing some sophisticated stuff - running before i can walk I supposed but need must! So what I usally want to do relates to a) knowing the right term to look for [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] understanding the principles of VBA c) finding some simple examples that can be used as pointers.

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can learn a lot about Word VBA by browsing through Macros/VBA on the Word MVP site.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi lizat,

If you want to work mainly with the Word object model, Steve Roman's "Writing Word macros" is useful.

For information on controls, programming techniques etc., Francesco Balena's "Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" is excellent. (While VBA and VB6 are not identical, there's a lot of overlap.)

Another book that looks like it might be useful to you (I haven't seen it yet) is "Office VBA Macros You Can Use Today" by various authors (MS MVPs and others).

And, although you didn't ask for this, an excellent book on coding in general is Steve McConnell's "Code Complete".

Regards.

Ed

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ed.......... thank you!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Liz, you're welcome.

Regards.

Ed