2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query Asterisk (Access2007)

According to directions in help when in the design query mode, double clicking the asterisk will include all the fields in the table to the bottom field list. All that happens is the name of the table is copied. I don't know why?How do I get all the fields in the bottom?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Asterisk (Access2007)

When you double-click the asterisk, you should see <code>TableName.*</code> in the query grid. This is shorthand for "select all fields from TableName". If you switch to datasheet view, you should see all fields.
    Using <code>TableName.*</code> is more efficient than adding each field individually.
    If you need to specify selection criteria or a sort order, you can add the fields you need for that, and clear the Show check box for those, to avoid showing them twice in the datasheet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I must be missing something..when I click the asterisk there are two entries in the query grid, both the same, and that is the name of the table. Selecting all fields is not possible
    pjb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The first line should read TableName.* meaning that it represents all fields, and the second line should contain TableName (where TableName is the name of the table).
    If you cannot see the asterisk in the first line, the column may be too narrow.

If you mean that you have two identical entries next to each other, you must have double-clicked the asterisk twice.

If you really want to add all fields to the query grid (which is not a good idea, in general), click on the first field name in the field list (immediately below the asterisk), then press Shift+End to select all fields. Then drag downwards to the query grid and release the mouse button.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just noticed that you are using Access 2007. I haven't used that myself yet, so I don't know whether the behavior of the query design window has changed. Perhaps someone with Access 2007 can jump in.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In 2007 the Query Design Grid works and looks the same. The only slight difference is that it shows a Key icon next to the primary key of the table.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification, that's good to know!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That doesn't work. I think there is a deeper problem that exists. For instance when trying to create a query I get a message--SECURITY WARNING-Certain content in the database has been disabled. When clicking Enable Table in the Options- the whole operation crashes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See if Trust Center on Tom Wickerath's site helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No good. When I click "Enable" the procedure crashes

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It appears there is something wrong with your installation of Access - trying to change security settings shouldn't lead to a crash. Try Diagnostics (the successor to Help | Detect and Repair in Access 2007), see What happened to Detect and Repair?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good Morning Hans, it seems that I've solved my problem. When you first open access2007 and choose a file the error message appears(Blocked and Disabled). This is the time to click Enable. If its done after creating a query it won't work.
    As far as the asterisk, I'll worry about that later.

pjb