Star Lounger
    Thanks

Overlapping Information (2002)

Hello,
    I have a few MS Word docs giving me issues.

The first issue is in a 16 page document. It was working beautifully until the other day. Now when I open the document, the 16 pages are condensed to 1 page and all of the text appears on one line. Given the amount of text the one line of text looks basically like a 12 point solid line. What is crazy is that if I select the line of text and change the point from 12 to 11.5 the text spreads out over the 16 pages and looks perfect. If I select all of the text on the 16 pages and change the size back to 12 it goes back to a single row of mashed text on one page. I haven't switched versions or OS's between saves. It just started one day when I opened the document. What I have been able to do in the past is open it using Open Office. It opens perfectly. I then save it as an open office doc then save as a Word doc. The problem then goes away. Though I can correct it with Open Office does anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on.

My second issue with another file is whenever I paste copied rows from a Word table to the end of another Word table in a single document it no longer appends the pasted rows to the table like it has been doing since I create it 6 pages ago. Now when I locate the cursor under the table and choose paste Word pastes the rows as a new table right on top of the existing table (overlaid). It is independent so I can drag the table underneath but it still remains as a second table rather then one table. If I create a brand new document it works perfectly again.

Am I just looking at corrupted files with both of these problems or is there a possible solution.

Thanks for any help,
    Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Overlapping Information (2002)

1) What happens if you leave the font size at 12 points, but apply a different font, e.g. change Times New Roman to Arial or Tahoma?
    You could also take a look at Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

2) The table problem probably means that one of the tables has become floating (or both).
    Click in the "source" table, then select Table | Table Properties...
    If necessary, activate the Table tab.
    Make sure that 'Text wrapping' is set to None, *not* to Around.
    Do the same for the "target" table.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting that you have this overlapping text problem. We have seen this with 2003 very recently. Some paragraphs will condense down to to just a few inches worth of hieroglyphics whilst other will remain untouched. It always kicks off when the user is about to print and printouts do show the document in this weird state but strangely if you exit and reload Word the document it is fine. I've even saved a document in this state and been able to reopen it. Its occurrence is seemingly very random - only a small no of users have seen it and then usually only once. We've so far reinstalled one of the printer drivers but time will tell as to whether it's resolved or not.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans for the suggestions.

1). Changing the font has no impact on the text. The only piece that seems to correct it is the point change. I will check out the link you sent. Thankfully Open Office fixes it as I need to maintain the 12 point size.

2). Turning the text wrap off fixed the problem, thanks. What is so weird is I have been copying 4 rows from the existing table and pasting them to the end to maintain the row layout for several pages then all of a sudden it started overlaying the paste. I even created a new document with text wrapping set to

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

About 1: OK, that rules out a corrupt font. Glad you have a workaround.