Star Lounger
    Thanks

folder view (sp2)

In Windows Explorer, how do I change the view for a particular folder. I keep my view option for all folders as "List". When I open the folder in question (it is my main document file folder) the columns are extremely far apart. I am able to change the view by clicking on View / Change Details and setting the column width (in pixels) to the setting I want. The columns then appear just as I want them.
    However, the next time I open this folder in Explorer, the view is exactly the same as it was before.
    How do I modify, or set, the view so that the change I want will "stick" ?
    In other folders viewed within Explorer, the spacing between columns is much less.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: folder view (sp2)

If you want all folders to be displayed the same way, try this:

Set a folder the way you want.
    Then select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the View tab.
    Locate "Remember each folder's view settings" in the list of Advanced Settings and clear its check box.
    Click the button "Like Current Folder".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. I do not want all folders to have the same setting as this particular one. It is only this particular folder that that has this UNDESIRED view setting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I understand that you don't want other folders to assume the undersired view settings. But you could open a folder that looks OK and tell Windows to apply its view settings to all other folders, the way I described.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Under Folder Options ,have you ticked "remember each folder's view settings" ?
    Regards
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried that, but it does not solve the problem. I believe that this option merely saves the same "view", such as tiles or details, as indicated in the dialog box called "Folder Views".

When you suggested 'Click the button "Like Current Folder"', I assume you refer to the button "Apply to All Folders", as I cannot find a button with the script "Like Current Folder".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> When you suggested 'Click the button "Like Current Folder"', I assume you refer to the button "Apply to All Folders", as I cannot find a button with the script "Like Current Folder".

Yes, the caption depends on the OS version.

If turning OFF "Remember each folder's view settings" and clicking "Apply to All Folders" from a folder that does have the desired column widths etc. doesn't help, I don't know how to solve your problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a really, really long shot. Take a look at this (long in the tooth) StarPost ( <post:=252,256>post 252,256</post:> ) to see if it'll help any. One part of the post talks about changing the setting for number of folders whose settings are to be remembered. I think MS, somewhere along the way, has made the default a much bigger number now. Way back then, I set mine for 5,000 folders.