New Lounger
    Thanks

SD Card Problems

I am using an Ipaq (4350) that I bought back in February with a 4GB storage card that I just recently bought a couple of months ago.
    While in the past I did not have any trouble transfering files between the Ipaq and my Inspiron 9200 laptop (which has a SD card reader built into it), I did notice wierd problems with the storage card while using it with the Ipaq. Periodally, the card would come up "Not formatted" when used in the Ipaq, and it would even sometimes get completely wiped out. Fortunately, I had the storage card's contents backed up on my laptop, so I could just copy the files over again.

Now, I'm noticing something extremely troubling. After the storage card got wiped out while using it in the Ipaq, I quickly made a backup of my current Ipaq data (that was in Main memory), using the Ipaq Backup utility. So now I had JUST THE BACKUP stored on the storage card. I then wanted to copy the other stuff (that I had backed up to my laptop) back to the card, so I removed the card from the Ipaq and inserted it into my laptop. To my shock, the laptop is telling me that the Storage card is unformatted. (It's recognizable in the Ipaq, and I see the backup file I just generated on the card, but the card comes up "unformatted" when I select the item from within my file explorer). So, I reformatted it with the laptop, just to see what would happen when I transferred it back ot the Ipaq. When I transferred it back to the Ipaq, the IPAQ told me the card was "unformatted". Why, all of a sudden, don't the formattings from my Ipaq and my laptop recognize each other any more. Additionally, after I format the card with my laptop's card reader, and try to restore the card's contents, I get an error message with one of the files being copied--it indicates that there was an IO device error.

To make matters worse, I have a 1GB card that I was using since late 2005 with an older Ipaq that I replaced with the 4350. The 1GB card worked flawlessly with the older Ipaq. BUT when I began using it with the 4350, I began to notice the same kind of problems when using the card with the Ipaq 4350. I haven't used the card that much lately, but now I tried to see if the same problem existed regarding the formatting of the card by either my laptop or my ipaq, and the card IS NOT EVEN RECOGNIZED BY EITHER MY IPAQ OR MY LAPTOP.

Could the ipaq 4350 have screwed up the cards? Could my laptop's card reader have screwed them up (doubtfully, since I was copying files to the card all along when I was still using my older ipaq)

Can someone tell me what is going on?? This is some tremendous grief.

I REALLY need somebody's help!

Thank you,
    Steve Weber

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SD Card Problems

Steve,

I have a variety of SD cards that I use with 2 iPAq's, a number of laptops and assorted cameras, phones etc. I have found the relaibility of these cards to be failry poor over the years. I have always assumed that SD cards just aren't that reliable, and expect to have to replace them every now and again.

It will be interesting to see what other people have to say.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

With regard to the fairly poor performance you're mentioning, does that include causing problems with the Ipaq itself (such as the unit not turning on, getting a dimly lit, solid purple display when the unit is turned on, having the card's contents suddenly vanish or the card become "unformatted", etc?

I'm trying to nail down the source of the problem, because after I purchased my Ipaq 4350, I learned of a number of not-so-great end-user reviews (I purchased the thing based on a CNet review, which appeared favorable).

Thanks,
    Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

I have had cards lose data or become "unformatted".

I assume that your display problems are nothing whatever to do with the SD cards. Have you tried reporting this fault to HP?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't reported it to HP yet.

I bought the unit (ipaq 4350) off ebay. I have had another ipaq prior (and I've used it heavily with a 1gb sd card without a problem). But this one, I don't know what to make of it.

Will HP be able to assist me with this one even though it is used?

Thanks,
    Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Will HP be able to assist me with this one even though it is used?

I've no idea. If you quote the model and serial number they will check if it is under warranty and let you know.

StuartR