3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing footnotes after too-large table cell (2003

The following problems happened when an author created a very large table cell containing footnotes, in a table where rows were not allowed to break across pages. Only some of the text in the table cell could be accommodated on the page; the rest of the text was missing (Print Layout view). This could present a difficult problem if the text happened to have a paragraph break at that point; the following text would disappear, and the author would say, "I know I entered more than that! Why doesn't it show up?"

Worse, footnotes in the table cell did not appear at the page bottom. If the big cell with footnotes is bigger than the page can accommodate, there are no footnote texts at the bottom of the table on that page.

Even worse: If footnotes appear in following table cells, or in text after the table, there are no footnote texts at the bottom of ANY pages from that point to the end of the document. Word just gives up on footnote texts at page bottoms after the "big cell," all the way to the end of the document.

If you hover over a footnote reference number in following text, the footnote text does appear, so it really is a footnote, but its text no longer shows up at the page bottom.

The "missing" footnote texts do appear in Normal view in the Footnote pane when View -> Footnotes is checked. A sample Word doc illustrating all this is attached.

So, if your tables don't allow rows to break across pages, be on the lookout for table rows that conveniently seem to break at the page bottom! Any ideas on spotting these problems would be welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing footnotes after too-large table cell (2003

Word's footnote system is buggy - also see the thread starting at <post:=648,960>post 648,960</post:>.

I think it's the user's responsibility to avoid extremely long cells that are not allowed to break across pages - using them is asking for trouble.

You could convert the footnotes to endnotes (the Insert | Reference | Footnote dialog has a command button Convert). *All* footnotes will then appear as endnotes on the last page, whether they were visible as footnotes or not.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing footnotes after too-large table cell (

Hans, thanks for your comments.

>...it's the user's responsibility to avoid extremely long cells that are not allowed to break across pages...
    Unfortunately, the document I am responsible for has many authors who don't know when to stop. The customer for the document requires that any row that needs to break across a page must start with "- cont." So I have to winkle these situations out one at a time. My concern is finding them if the cell happens to break at a logical point in the text.

About all I can think of at the moment is to check Allow row to break across pages , then examine the table for rows that break, then manually cut some text and insert it into a new row that starts with "- cont.", then uncheck Allow row to break.

>...convert the footnotes to endnotes...
    The document customer requires footnotes. I could do the conversion, examine the endnotes and compare what appears as endnotes to what actually appears, then convert back. This would be messy, as the document has 200 pages with 12 chapters, each with a table.

Since the authors are working from a template that I provide, I reckon I will check Allow row to break across pages in the template, and examine each table as received, to catch and fix these problems.