Thanks

Syncing Drive Letters (WinXP SP-2)

I'm re-arranging my partitions to accommodate new disks.

I've used diskmgmt.msc to arrange the partition letters so that they made a bit more sense.

When backing up, I noticed in Acronis' True Image the drive letters are different -- like the original order. I used to see this type of difference in the old DOS days, where lettering was based on the order drives were installed or activated. So, apparently, Acronis is reading some type of table that diskmgmt.msc is ignoring.

Is there some way to bring all the drive and partition lettering into sync?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Syncing Drive Letters (WinXP SP-2)

Isn't this a question you should be asking of Acronis technical support? Presumably Acronis is 'somehow' maintaining its own list of drive letters.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I did them as well.... and/but they say that Acronis works in a "linux-like" state, and therefore cannot be manipulated...

I question this strongly since part of Acronis' prcess works directly inside Windos, so, what the heck? If there are in fact two MFT's if you will, nd there seem to be just that, and Acronis can read both, I'm inclined to think that so can Windos/Microsoft.

Sysinternals, now part of MS, has in fact a product that crosses over the NTFS / FAT line... I'm babbling...

Siffice to say that there must be some way or tool out there that could read both ends of this candle...

But oh well... thanks anyway, John.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

>> ...and therefore cannot be manipulated...

Doesn't that answer your original question - Is there some way to bring all the drive and partition lettering into sync? - then? If you can't 'manipulate' the Acronis list, perhaps you have to re-order your partition letters to synch with them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You want to be looking, not at the MFT (the Master File Table), but at the Disk Partition Table. Endless results from Google, such as the one from Wikipedia...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Chuck,

>>I noticed in Acronis' True Image the drive letters are different

That oddity has been around since True Image Version 6 or so.
    I've cleared that up in my mind anyway, by NAMING my drives, in addition to the drive letters.
    So no matter what Acronis calls them by drive letter, the drive NAME stays with the drive and does not change.
    So, if you have a drive D for example, and call it Storage, if Acronis changes it ( TEMPORARILY ) to drive M, it will still show as Drive M, Storage.
    It does NOT actually change the drive letter permanently to M. That's just for it's own internal usage.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob:

Yea, labeling and using that (mentally) as reference seems to be the way.

A little cooperative unity in the planning and execution of these things would be nice, but I guess that would impinge on the competitive spirit!

Thanks guys.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow