Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open Office for MAC

I know this is a question for a SMALL Lounge audience, but I'll try anyway. I have a friend who, at my recommendation, has installed Open Office on his MAC laptop, which he said seems to have gone successfully. However, he reports that he only has ONE icon on his screen when he gets done and that it's for the word processor. He doesn't see anything for the other applications. Is there something he might be missing? I know this is sketchy info and I'll get to take a look at his laptop tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask in advance, just in case...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Office for MAC

I wonder if the icon is for OpenOffice in general.

On my installation (a linux box), it doesn't matter which OO application I launch, I can use the "NEW" button to create any of the document types, being a letter, spreadsheet, database... you get the picture.

The other thing that may have happened.... did your friend possibly only install the word processor application?
    Christopher Baldrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Office for MAC

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I just came back in from my daily trip. My friend is the manager of the physical therapy department at the nursing home and he was gonna bring the laptop but changed his mind. Evidently, the night before while doing the install, he had failed to RTFM and didn't complete the process. He said the ONE icon he ended up with needed to be dragged to something or other place (I can't remember what he said) and that once he did that, he can now see all the OO applications just fine. He said he used both the spreadsheet and word processor for his initial test and they work just fine. He's an "experienced" MS Office user and didn't have any further problems. He seems to be happy that I told him about this freebie!

I don't think I've ever had occasion to use the New command as you described, but OO seems to have the same characteristics as MS Office in that you can use File, Open when you're in a word processor file, open a spreadsheet file and hot key between them with either the Window command OR the task bar.

Another day, another RTFM problem settled!