I happened upon this program some time ago; tried the evaluation version; loved it; and then bought the registered version. At $40, it seems a bit pricey but it works flawlessly. I use it a dozen times a day. ScanToPdf does one thing and does it well and is very simple to use. It creates perfect scanned images of any document including color, graphics, etc and the output is a pdf file, making it a breeze to store for future use or email to someone else (beats faxing!).

I like it so much, I thought I'd post a recommendation... Here's the link. Adobe Acrobat is not required.

From their site:
<hr>Scan To PDF is an easy-to-use tool that helps you convert your paper documents into industry standard PDF format. Just insert the paper into your scanner, press the scanning button and the paper document will be automatically converted to PDF format. You can also send the converted PDF file by email, and the program will automatically create the attachment for you. It does what it says on the box! In addition to Twain input (scanner, digital camera etc.), you can also convert a folder of images to PDF. ScanToPDF supports standard PDF security, allows author information to be added and offers options for the creation of searchabe PDFs using text from OCR or metatag indexing.<hr>