Thread: Wireshark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Wireshark

I attended a NaSPA meeting last night, a good presentation on WireShark .
    Naturally I came here (wopr.com) straight away to read what my peers had to say about it - and found nothing!

What's up? I'm usually the last kid on the block to learn about something.
    I know the speaker well, and have d/l and will install wireshark-setup-0.99.6a.exe this morning.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireshark

There'll probably be more than a couple of Loungers who appreciate your post (and find) Chris. When I went to your link, I spotted right away that it used to be called "Ethereal" and a search on THAT word does bring up a few hits, including <post#=649,226>post 649,226</post#> and this older one <post#=527,243>post 527,243</post#>.

The strange thing that I didn't take time to find out is why the Ethereal site is still operable if this news article is true: <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.wireshark.org/news/20060607.html">Wireshark: Ethereal

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I spotted right away that it used to be called "Ethereal"
    So if I interpret your response correctly, I maintain my status as being generally the last to know about anything useful, including Ethereal (I was told last night that it's no longer Ethereal in the same minute I learned about it), but retain a slim chance of being only the second-last to know about the name change to Wireshark (grin!)

Thanks for the links back to the old threads.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What's a NaSPA when it's at home? National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (first hit on Google) ? Network and Systems Professionals Association (third hit)? National Alliance of State ** Possible SPAM post - please alert a Moderator (2)** Associations (fifth hit)? National Australian Security Providers Association (sixth hit)? National Society for the Prevention of Accidents? Natural Sausage Production Alliance (my guesses!)?

You have to be careful about acronym reuse, certainly across country boundaries...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>What's a NaSPA when it's at home?
    NaSPA has a new home, in Cap Gemini.
    Surprisngly, one of last night's presenters, Don Melton, mentioned that he had seen/worked on CPL, and I developed Cap Sogeti's CPL macros for micros 30 years ago in Paris.
    Small World!