Project advice (VB6/Access)

I need some advice on a project I am about to embark on. I am relatively new to the programming field (graduated college 2 months ago), and am having to choose between developing a project in Access or VB6. The people involved want a system to integrate several parts of the company who are using information methods that are a bit antiquated. Specifically, they are pulling Access queries and passing the information in Excel files. There is no central repository for information. What they want is a system for several departments to be able to share the information. Most of the information is contained in SQL Server tables, but my fear is that flat files will need to be created for upload into a legacy system. This system will eventually need to be web available. I know that personal bias will be a factor in your replies, but can you give me some of the issues I should be basing my decision on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Project advice (VB6/Access)

Either one will work. If you're using an Access database anywhere in the mix then you're using Jet no matter which one you choose. Use the one that's most familiar to you. Access forms and reports offer a lot of features that VB forms and reports don't, while VB objects expose more properties than Access objects, just not necessarily the same ones. DAO, ADO and SQL work the same in both apps, and either one can use SQL Server as a back end.

One big difference if you're using ADO, though, is that you can bind data to a VB form using an ADO DataControl and that data will be editable, while binding a form to an ADO recordset in Access gives you a non-updateable form (in Access you have to use an unbound form with an ADO recordset).

I'm not sure I understand the proble with creating flat files. In both products, you can create and execute a make-table query that will generate a flat table, which you can export to a file, or you can use File I/O in both products to open and write directly into an ASCII file.