5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Personal XLS macros and Visual Basic in 2007? (Office 2007)

I noticed that in office 2007 I don't have access to my macros unless I manually open personal.xls. Is this not used any more in 2007 and do I need to copy things over to ? personal.xlsm or whatever it is called. Or is something else going on?
    Thanks
    jerome

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal XLS macros and Visual Basic in 2007? (Office 2007)

Rename Personal.xls to Personal.xlsb for Excel 2007.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I presume one must "Save As" .xlsb as opposed to renaming from .xls otherwise Excel will complain that the file is not in binary format.

I have solved my recent problem with Personal.xls, but am still wondering what went wrong. I have been using an Excel 2003 version of my Personal.xls file from my old PC for several months on my new PC with Office 2007. My personal macros were always available until yesterday. Now suddenly, Personal.xls won't load automatically even though it is in the correct XLSTART folder. I deleted the file and inserted a backup copy and still it wouldn't load automatically. I then deleted it and created a new personal macro workbook using the macro recorder. I deleted the junk code generated, inserted my original code module and the code behind the ThisWorkbook object. I also had to modify my QAT so that custom icons pointed to the newly created Personal.xlsb.

Any ideas on why the original Personal.xls stopped functioning ?

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have both Excel 2003 and 2007 installed? There are many reports of problems with Personal.xls / Personal.xlsb on PCs that have both versions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I bought Office 2007 with the machine and have never had Office 2003 on it.

The puzzling thing is it used to work with the .xls, now it refuses to load it automatically. It will still load as a hidden file if I click on it and the macros are available as usual, but that defeats the idea of a personal macro workbook that is always available.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I found several reports of Personal.xls not loading in Excel 2007, but there doesn't seem to be a clear explanation or solution (except the workaround that you have found). One more glitch in Excel 2007, I guess.