Thread: Billion 7300g

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Billion 7300g

G'day all,
    A few months ago I bought myself a Billion 7300G ADSL2 wireless router. Sweet - so easy to set up compared to the netcom model I had tried and given up on previously. But, I've shot myself in the foot.
    I access the net from my laptop (Compaq presario V4002AP) but after a time of inactivity (round about 45min to an hours, not quite sure exactly) the connection is lost. Disabling and re-enabling the connection, "fixing" the connection etc doesn't help and I have to reboot. I believe it may have happend as I recently reformatted the desktop. The router is still working find...I just can't find it or the connection to my remote laptop on my machine to see if one of the settings is out and that is "turning off" the connection after the period of inactivity. How do I "re-find" the connection?
    Second, what is the "firmware" upgrade that is available? I had been told to check for them, and my billion did have firmware preinstalled that fixed all reported bugs at the time. Other than my own incompetence, I've had no dramas whatsoever with the unit. Do I need the firmware, how do I use it? Maybe that has something to do with the "lost link" - but I still think it has more to do with operator error!!

Thanks yet again
    Willow

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Billion 7300g

These days a router usually has a web based management console. See your manual for the correct HTTP address for it - many times it is http://192.168.0.1. You'll need to know the admin password to access the settings. It could be that your problem is with your power settings. To check that right click My Computer then select Manage. Once the management console has opened select Device Manager. Then click the plus (+) sign next to Network Adapters. Right click the adapter and select Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not chekced. Then "OK" your way out.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Re: Billion 7300g

And further to Joe's post, see if the thread beginning with <post:=550,499>post 550,499</post:> yields any further clues.