2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting OEM Windows Disc with Brand Name PC

HI,

Very basic question - hope there's a "yes" somewhere...

I've always bought "white box" PC's that I've selected the components myself and put my own copy of Windows onto the blank, formatted hard drive.

I've got a big gift certificate from Best Buy, and thought for once I might buy a name brand desktop machine, like HP. Only problem is that all my inquiries so far about getting the actual Windows CD have come to nothing. I don't want a machine where I have to keep the "restore partition" with Windows (XP or Vista) along with the crudware that gets tossed in whether I want it or not. Does anyone know of a manufacturer (or way) to get the OEM Windows on a CD with the purchase (or even after the fact from the manufacturer) so that I can have control over what I do with the Hard Drive?

Especially if I want to install something Vista Ultimate, it seems silly to have to buy a machine with Windows installed, and essentially throw that version away so that I can put in my own.

Thanks,

John

Thanks

Re: Getting OEM Windows Disc with Brand Name PC

I know that Dell does ship the OS DVD with most systems, and if they don't, you can request the DVD from Dell and they will send it to you. Unfortunately, many of the "brand name" manufacturers do not include the OS media.

If you can't find a manufacturer who supplies this, a Google on "oem vista" will return many locations where you can purchase a copy.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Both Sony and HP will sell you the CD/DVD's to "Recover" your system. I have found that with these larger drives, there is NO problem with the "Recover" partition.
    Sony uses a "hidden" partition, while HP is using the D drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I purchased two Lenovo Thinkpads last year, and neither came with the OEM Media. However, both machines were able to "out of the box" burn 1 CD-R and 1 DVD-R disc to make a backup copy of the OEM installation for recovery purposes.

Doing this, allowed me to repartition the hard disk as I saw fit, and load whatever OS I desired.

In case you're wondering, I did do a clean installation afterwards with the newly created OEM media.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure you don't want to hear much about my problems with a Dell System Recovery CD on a Dell Optiplex 320... But here are a couple!

I was trying to do an install in place, but found it wanted me to specify the location of the video drivers - but the USB keyboard wouldn't work!
    Next, a more drastic install failed to install a number of drivers - including that for the on-board Ethernet NIC. There's not too much you can do if you don't have a working NIC...

So try to make sure you get a full XP system CD. It may not improve matters, but you might have a better chance of returning to normal.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have to say this very carefully to make sure I don't violate Lounge rules! One of YOUR probems is that in all of my dealings with Best Buy, you're gonna get what ever's "in the box" and there won't be any negotiating a full system CD. But I hope things are different now and I wish you good luck. I'd rather deal directly with a manufacturer!