New Lounger
    Thanks

Abnormal Large file size (MS Publisher 2000)

I've been using MS Publisher for 6 months to create a 16 page newsletter. The size of each of these monthly files has been in the neighborhood of 4MB to 7MB. This month, as I have been assembling the document, the size of the file has grown to enormous proportions! This month's file is 213,300KB. This 16-page newsletter is only text and graphics, to be printed and mailed out. I may have a few more graphics this month than previous, but nothing to justify an increase like that. I have saved the document to a USB flash memory drive to transport back and forth from home to work. It takes the computer 2-3 minutes to complete the "save" process. Help!! What can I do?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Abnormal Large file size (MS Publisher 2000)

This can be tedious to investigate.
    - Create a copy op the newsletter.
    - Open the copy.
    - Remove a page.
    - Save.
    - If the file size falls back to less than 10 MB, the page that you removed was the culprit.
    - If not, remove another page, etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You say "I may have a few more graphics this month than previous, but nothing to justify an increase like that." but, how large are these new images that you have added?

Also if these are photos, did you do any "Cropping" within Publisher or did you do the cropping in a image editor before inserting?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding DaveA! I *really* appreciate the help provided at Woody's Lounge. You have helped me numerous times!

I "produce" this monthly church newsletter over the course of a week. This month, I _did_ have 9 photographic images placed on one page. I did quite a bit of "re-sizing" of the images in Publisher, but I was not aware of any Publisher feature that would "crop" the images. Ultimately, these images were "re-sized" to a thumbnail size image. The page that contained these photographs was one of the last pages to be completed; it seemed as though this unusual growth took place gradually over the course of the week I was working on the file. By the time the document was finished, it took close to 10 minutes to complete a save action.

My practice in producing this newsletter each month has been to open up the previous month's version and "strip" out the old, outdated stories and re-save as the new month. There is *no* way I'll be doing that with the July issue since it grew to such a large file size!

I am quite familiar with computers and technology, but I have only started using MS Publisher regularly in February. I really like the flexibility of the program.

Thank you very much for your help!

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have nailed an on going issue with MOST document making programs. One should made a "Blank Master" or template to be used as a starter for this type of projects. This master needs to be used every time and keep up up to date.

The problem is most programs do not have any method of "Compacting" a file, and the adding and deleting just makes the file larger. The deleting will not always reduce the overall size of the file. That is why the "Blank Master" is the best way to go.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you DaveA and HansV for the "always helpful" advice. As I mentioned earlier, you guys have rescued me a number of times in the past--thanks!

I'll establish a "clean" template to use each month rather than "cleaning out" last month's issue and resaving it with the new month's name.

Gary