Lounger
    Thanks

Word Spacing (ACC 2000+)

I have a client, importing Excel surveys.. pretty standard, with four text columns in the Excel .. Access VBA modules read and import from code, and it's fine. Small problem, the text fields which contain questions or answers are all 'run-on' .. ie the spaces have been carved out and I'm left with a single continuous string in the Access table .. The Access table schema is set to expect text 255 or memo fields, so I'm sorta confused. Can you help me ?? Regards Wayne

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Word Spacing (ACC 2000+)

How are you bringing the text in? You mention VBA code; do you want to post the code that's doing the import?
    Peter

Lounger
    Thanks

Peter, it's just a "DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, szTarget, szPath, True, szRange" ... comes in normally to a "cache table", drfined as text columns or a Memo field (these people write paragraphs where two sentences would work fine). But, occasionally, it goes nuts, and jambs all the words together, .. than at other times it uses nomal spacing. I can't put my finger on the trigger that's causing the problem. Many Excel files, all the same Template, just different text in the cells. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot think of any situation in which DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet would remove spaces from text values. Is there any chance you could post one of the "problem" workbooks?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I found the problem .. parsed by another procedure call .. My error in not seeing it earlier ... nested in a mess of code. Thanks to both of you ... Wayne ps I did learn something, though "a text field definition in MS Access, is treated a little different than a Memo field ... that is, when importing Excel"