Thanks

Regrouping (2003)

I am lost here. I have a Powerpoint slide with a bunch of individual objects. I wanted to group them into one big image. But Powerpoint won't let me do this. It only makes the regroup option available when I select all the objects together and that doesn't do what I want. I've tried individually grouping the items together and this most works except for one set of items. I've tried moving the items around, copying them, etc. but no matter what I do, this subset of items will not allow me to group them. Microsoft issues this seeming useless error message ("there is no corrective action you can take to avoid this"???? I mean c'mon Microsoft, it's YOUR program. Why couldn't you provide a way around this problem instead of this useless error message?):

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Regrouping (2003)

I have no idea. If you wish, you can attach a copy of the presentation with only the problem slide, so that others can have a go at it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

I am not quite with you on this one, do you want all of the objects on 1 slide grouped? If so have you tried clicking into a blank space and then holding Ctrl and 'A' to select all of the items on the page and then grouping them, I have played about with various bits and bobs such as a mixture of text and graphics, a graph with graphics and text and I can group them all without any problem?

If that is not any good please do as Hans has suggested and I will be quite happy to have a go.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What are you trying to group? Some things cannot be grouped (eg placeholders) and the group command will be greyed out if you select them.

Thanks

I managed to do this by cutting the two items that were causing this problem (they just could not grouped) and pasting them into a new slide. Then I could group them. Then I cut them from the new slide and pasted them back into the old slide. This allowed me to group everything on the page.

I wanted to group all items so I could reduce the size of the whole group. However, I found that even when grouped, the text labels on the icons do not get reduced properly. SO they will have to be edited individually.

Powerpoint is just an archaic app. I suspect that Microsoft has just kept building on top of the original code base, which probably means that the code is like a plate of spaghetti and weird problems like this are just part of the Powerpoint experience.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are trying to reduce the size of a fixed size font???

If you need to do this try cutting the group and "paste special" as an enhanced metafile