4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Signing Macros & Setting Read Only (VBA/Word 2003)

Dear Loungers,

I have signed my macros using a self generated certificate. Everything works! The only thing is I usally set all my templates to read only (using explorer). However this is now not possible. Does this mean that if a macro is signed the document is therefore, in effect, read only?

thank you................. liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Signing Macros & Setting Read Only (VBA/Word 2003)

I don't understand - what is the problem? You should be able to make a template read-only whether you have applied a digital signature or not.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Signing Macros & Setting Read Only (VBA/Word 2

Hans,

The problem is I can't!!! and it is only since I applied a digital signature. I haven't ever used them before so since it is only since then and I m doing nothing else unusual I assumed it must be connected.

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Signing Macros & Setting Read Only (VBA/Word 2

Making a file read-only in Windows Explorer doesn't have any relation to whether it contains a digital signature, as far as I know. What exactly do you mean by "I can't"? Is the read-only check box greyed out? Or do you get an error message if you tick the check box? Or when you click OK? If so, what does the error message say?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Set Read Only (VBA/Word 2

Hans,

It's something to do with my machine or windows installation I think because I can't for any file. I can open properties but even after ticking the check box and pressing OK the attribute isn't set, so it doesn't show in the attribute column of detailed view or on the properties dialogue if reopened. The machine has been rebooted since I experienced the problem, obviously the coincidental timing with using digital signatures created a red herring.

So the question is what would cause this behaviour. Everything else seem to be working in the Properties dialogue, I can change the subject add new custom fields etc. But I cannot change the attributes of any either to turn them off or on. The plot thickens... I have just realised that I am always doing this on my Terastation, this is a network device and is my large external storage that I do all my work on, the internal drives are used for Software, configuration files and the like. Guess what - the problem only exists on the Terastation so it is device specific. Obviously I need to do some investigation.

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Set Read Only (VBA/Word 2

OK, good luck. If you have additional questions, you might start a new thread in the appropriate Windows forum, since it's turned out not to be a VBA problem.