Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: currently referenced by another workbook? (XL)

(Later)
    The new attachment has a simple function in the library, a simple macro in the book.
    Placing the library Lib1.xls in the ExcelAddins folder, and the Book1.xls in the ExcelXLStart folder works fine. No hiccoughs whatever, on this end, on all three machines available to me here at the client site.

I am looking for a rational explanation why Excel should get confused on opening a set of fiels within one folder.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Currently referenced by another workbook? (Excel)

I have two workbooks, (attached), Book1.xls and Lib1.xls, in my XLStart folder. Book1 contains an (unused) reference to Lib1.
    When I load Excel2000 or Excel2003, I get the message "This workbook is currently referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed".

A search of Google VBA reveals many complaints about closing a workbook, but none about this message cropping up during Excel's startup.

I can't understand why Excel should have a problem with two workbooks, one pointing to the other, in the startup folder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Currently referenced by another workbook? (Excel)

I guess that Book1.xls is loaded first because it comes before Lib1.xls alphabetically; and this loads Lib1.xls because of the reference. Next, Excel tries to open Lib1.xls but it is already in use.
    If you rename Book1.xls to Zook1.xls, the conflict doesn't arise.

I wouldn't place Lib1.xls in XLStart, there is no need for it to be opened as a workbook, as far as I can tell.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Currently referenced by another workbook? (Exc

> Excel tries to open Lib1.xls but it is already in use.
    Thanks, Hans.
    Good explanation, coupled with " ... cannot be closed" which clearly means " ... cannot be opened"