Thread: Video Card

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Video Card

I think the video card on our 3 year old Toshiba laptop has died! The screen colors are all wrong (i.e., the background of this screen is a lovely turquoise). The problem has been intermittent for almost a year, but finally is constant. My question is this: is a video card replacement simple to do for a non technical user or am I better to take it to a professional repair person?

Any advice most appreciated, as always.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Video Card

I would first check and see if your laptop feeds a correct signal to a CRT monitor or any other type of stand alone monitor. If you do not have one, perhaps a trip to a friend who does have one is one possibility. If the image looks fine on the external monitor then the video card is OK and the problem may be with your display. When you hook the external monitor you will need to hit one of the function keys on the laptop to switch from laptop display to the external display and with another click to both displays.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...is a video card replacement simple to do for a non technical user... <hr>
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're in for a trip (or a mailing) to a repair vendor on a laptop video problem! On a desktop machine, changing a video card is not too hard for someone who has a little experience with working with the insides of a computer. But on a laptop, I wouldn't even begin to think about it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Paul and Big Al,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will check by hooking up with a monitor first. I suspected working inside a laptop would be too much for a novice, so won't tackle it myself. Thank you both again.

Linda