3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Today and Rules (Outlook 2003)

Hi all. Does anyone know if there is a problem or incompatibility with Outlook rules and having Outlook Today set as the default view on startup? I like the overview that Outlook Today gives me when I fire it up in the morning, but since making that my default view several days ago, I noticed that my rules no longer run.

Is this a known problem, or is there a setting I am unaware of?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Today and Rules (Outlook 2003)

There shouldn't be any problem or incompatibility. You might want to go into Tools | Rules and Alerts, and bothe click on "Run Rules Now and be sure that your Rules remain checked. Are they Rules that operate on Outlook Startup?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm only moderately embarrassed that this problem doesn't appear to be persistent. In other words, it's sort of a false alarm.

I posted the problem initially after changing my default view from the plain ol' Inbox to Outlook Today. After I made that change, the next time I launched Outlook, the rules did not run at all, and I immediately posed the question then. What I did NOT factor in was the fact that Outlook occasionally refused to run my rules at startup even under the old configuration. (I'm so jaded these days that when that happens, I cuss, run them manually, and forget about it until the next time.)

I've never been terribly impressed with Outlook's consistency, at least not with our configuration of it here at work. There have been multiple times in the past where, based on what I saw, Outlook has hung another application if I happened to launch that application at the precise moment I received an email (and presumably, Outlook was running the rules.) There have also been times when the whole machine slowed to a crawl, and once it seemed back to being OK, I found that Outlook had just been hogging resources as it communicated with the server.

Thanks for the the help anyway. I will try to do my homework a little better before I cry wolf the next time.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are on Exchange Server, it may help to make a backup of your Rules for safety (Tools | Rules and Alerts | Options | Export Rules), then close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes (check Task Manager), and then from the Windows Start command line run this command

outlook.exe /cleanserverrules

It may help clear up any corrupted Rules which are on the Server. If it wipes your Rules out (it shouldn't ) re-import them from the Export dialog above.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS