Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 with Excel 2007 OLE and Trust Center (2007 (12.0.6015.5000))

I have created a Word document with a linked (OLE) Excel sheet. The data source for the Excel sheet comes from MS Query. I have put both the Word and Excel file in a trusted location. When opening Excel, it seems to work as expected. When I open the Word document it initially opens OK but then, when I click on the linked Excel sheet I get a modal popup that says:

Microsoft Office has identified a potential security concern. File Path: Book1 Data connections have been blocked. If you choose to enable data connections, your computer may no longer be secure. Do not enable this content unless you trust the source of this file.

I get the option to Enable or Disable. So, I click Enable.

Then, if I subsequently double-click the Excel sheet to edit the data I get the message again. Once clicking through both messages the document works as expected until I close and re-open the document.

I have gone through the settings in the Trust Center and of those that seem to make sense for this situation, I cannot change any that will allow me to open the Excel document from within Word without the message. Does anyone know how to get rid of the message in this scenario?

Thanks

Re: Word 2007 with Excel 2007 OLE and Trust Center (2007 (12.0.6015.5000))

You might try adding the location to the Trusted Locations, then put a check mark in the "Allow Trusted Locations on my network" box.
    Under External Content you might also put a check mark in the Enable All Data Connections"
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks

Setting Excel to 'Enable All Data Connections' was the answer. Setting 'Allow Trusted Locations on my network' had no effect. However, Excel on its own doesn't complain about the data connection because the Excel file is in a trusted location. In fact, everything is in the trusted location, the database, the MS Query file, the Excel sheet and the Word doc.

Am I wrong in thinking that if Excel is OK with the data coming from a trusted location that using the Excel sheet from with Word should behave the same?

Though not the end of the world I would prefer not having to trust all connections. Kind of defeats the purpose of a trusted location. Any other thoughts to work around this issue?

Thanks

That to be honest I am not sure of. See if this helps Enable All Data Connections
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I believe there's nothing that can be done except to allow all data connections. If I find that it's something I've done wrong and not a quirk in Office 2007, I'll post the answer on this site.

Thanks for your help,