I have Win XP SP2, with all updates. About 3 mos ago I noticed that occasionally the entire system would slow down to a crawl - I mean cold molasses! - I am able to fix this by patiently waiting until everything closes, then reboot. At that point the shut-down screen tells me that IE is not responding -- duh. After the reboot things would go along for a few days then it'd hang again. I read info on the MS site and re-installed IE7 over the old one, as per the suggestions. Just today I thought it had fixed the problem b/c it's been over a week since the reinstall, BUT... So when it slowed down today I checked the task manager, and was surprised to see 3 versions of IE.exe running -- sucking up gobs of memory. I terminated the processes through task manager and all has been running fast again. -- I think this whole problem started after one of the updates, but am not sure. Any suggestions as to permanent repair would be appreciated. -- BTW, I prefer to use FireFox, but my husband likes to use IE, however, both programs never run together, and FF as NEVER hung up...
Thanks for your help.