Lounger
    Thanks

database password (Access 2003)

I have an Access macro that I want to schedule as a Windows Scheduled Task. My issue is that when the scheduled task runs, it hangs up when the program prompts for a database password. I want to either get rid of database password alltogether, or bypass it somehow. I know nothing about using VBA, so if that is the solution, I will need step-by-step instructions spelled out exactly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Sherry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: database password (Access 2003)

You cannot specify the database password if you want to open the database from a command line (such as is necessary for a scheduled task).
    To remove the database password:
    - Start Access.
    - Select File | Open...
    - Select your database.
    - Click the little dropdown arrow on the right hand side of the Open button.
    - Select Open Exclusively from the dropdown list.
    - Provide the password.
    - Select Tools | Security | Remove Database Password.
    - Provide the password again.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried what you suggested. I'm having a little difficulty even though it seems that the process should be a no-brainer. For example, when I get to the place where I am to click "Open Exclusively", that option is already check-marked; if I click it anyway and try to proceed, I get a message telling me that I must have the database opened exclusively to carry out my procedure.
    If I go back to the drop-down area and choose "Open", then I am in exclusive mode--this is very confusing.

The next problem I encounter is in Tools|Security - there is no "Remove Database Password" choice, only "Set Database Password".

What on earth could be the matter here?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the option "Open Exclusively" is ticked already, it is probably your default setting - you can specify this in the Advanced tab of Tools | Options. I recommend setting the default to Shared - you can always open a database exclusively if necessary, but in general, shared is the better option.

If the item in Tools | Security reads "Set Database Password", there currently is no database password. If you do get prompted for a password when you open the database, there are two possibilities:
    - User-level security has been applied to the database. In this case you should see a dialog asking for a username and password, not just for a password.
    - The person who designed the database has either created a startup form that asks for a password, or a macro named AutoExec that does the same.

Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct on all counts. I did have "Open Exclusively" as my default, and the password prompt is asking for a username and password. So-- how do I get rid of user level security? I'm the user, and apparently at the dawn of time I set this up. Now that it's getting in my way I want to get rid of it.

Again, I'm grateful for your help.

Sherry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is possible to set up a scheduled task if the database has user-level protection applied. Create a shortcut with a target like this:
    <code>
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11MSAccess.exe" "CatabasesMyDatabase.mdb /user Sherry /pwd secret /x MyMacro"
    </code>
    and use this shortcut as the "program" to be executed by the scheduled task.

If you want to remove user-level security, you need to log in with a username that has Administrator privileges. Then do the following:
    - Grant full permissions to the Users group and to the Admin user account.
    - Put the Admin user back in the Admins group.
    - Remove the password from the Admin user.