4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rows To Columns (XP/03)

This is probably someone has asked and been answered in the past, yet I can't find anything about it. I'm probably not using the correct keywords in my search.

My challenge is I have a database with tables containing info, but need to convert the data from a row format to columns (if that makes sense). I don't know how to convert the data into a query, or spreadsheet on the fly. The number of columns will change at run time based on criteria selected by user (i.e. date range or group). I can create the query that provides the data, but just don't know how to convert it to columns.

I have attached a sample spreadsheet. Please note that the sample contains only six columns of data, in practice the number of columns will vary.

If necessary, I can also provide sample database. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rows To Columns (XP/03)

Does the spreadsheet you attached represent a table in your database? If so, the design of that table is very unfortunate. Or is it the desired result?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

No, the spreadsheet is NOT indicative of the table structures. I can query the tables and come up with the data elements required in the spreadsheet. Since posting original post I tried a cross tab query which ALMOST gives me the results I seek. It gives me the correct rows, and correct column headings (tracker number) but I am not able to figure out how to get the "Date" included as an additional column heading.

Thanks for your ideas.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A crosstab query can only have a single row of column headers, not two. You may be able to get what you want in a report. Creating a report based on a crosstab query whose columns may vary is not trivial, search for dynamic crosstab report in this forum, or see <post#=35485>post 35485</post#>, <post#=134439>post 134439</post#> or <post#=248210>post 248210</post#>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the leads. I'll read those and see where they lead. FWIW, we prefer something that can be exported to Excel, which will eliminate the variable columns issues in a report.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you can add the extra header row in Excel, after exporting the crosstab query.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

How would I go about adding it in Excel? Would I add a worksheet to the spreadsheet that contains the Tracker Number and Date as a lookup?

thanks,
    Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that would probably be the best option.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

As you probably know, I am a neophyte when it comes to Excel. Will it be possible to create the lookup dynamically? I'll start on this later today, and when I get to the part of adding a sheet and inserting the lookup data, I may have to ask additional questions.

thanks!

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use Automation to create the lookup formulas in the workbook from Access, but this requires at least some familiarity with Excel VBA.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I instead of working through Excel Automation, in the query I combined the date field with the track field in a query. Using "TrackDate: Format([TimeStamp],"yyyymmdd") & "_"& <tracker>" gives me "YYYYMMDD_TrackNumber" for the cell/column heading.

I tried using "TrackDate: Format([TimeStamp],"yyyymmdd") & Chr$(15) & Chr$(10) & <tracker>" to see if I could get "YYYYMMDD CarriageReturn Tracker". Is there a way to insert a carriage return between two fields in a query?

Thanks,

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try Chr(13) instead of Chr(15). The standard carriage return/line feed sequence is Chr(13) & Chr(10).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

That worked GREAT! Thanks!

Ken