Thanks

Lost Columns (2K SP3)

Today I find that I am losing columns inadvertently in worksheets I a using. It is always the left most column(s).

Is there a keyboard combination that I might have inadvertently used that would work this magic?

Help says:

Display hidden rows or columns

To display hidden columns, select cells in the column to the left and in the column to the right of the hidden columns.

On the Format menu, point to either Row or Column, and then click Unhide.

Tip If the first row or column of a worksheet is hidden, click Go To on the Edit menu. Type A1 in the Reference box, and click OK. Point to Row or Column on the Format menu, and then click Unhide.

I tried using the "Tip" and when I entered A1, the 'go to' box displayed $B:$B. I tried again, now it shows both $A$1 and $B:$B. When I go to Format and click Unhide column A remains hidden!

When I tried it on a worksheet with both A and B hidden, the "go to" menu had the name of the worksheet entered twice in the menu list. I tried entering A1 and it responded with $L$7. It appears that if the cursor is in the upper left corner of the display, A1 returns $C:$C.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Columns (2K SP3)

Can you attach a sample workbook where this problem occurs?

Thanks

Perhaps it is not "hidden" but just off teh screen since column B is a "frozen Pane" and when it was "frozen" A was off the screen...

Try unfreezing the panes, getting A/B on screen and then refreeze the panes...

Steve

Thanks

Hans,

Thank you for replying.

I may have 'answered' my question by myself. I 'unfroze panes' in "Window" and then selected 'control/home' and there was column A at the far left.

It seems as though the problem has gone as a result of unfreezing the panes. When I reset a freeze panes where I had it before, I can see A or A and B.

Perhaps there is a seldom encountered 'bug' in Excel 2000 that is beyond repairing?

I know, it is time for me to move on and upgrade to Vista and the latest version of Office. It is on my schedule to build a new machine. Even though I am retired, it is hard to find time for all that I want to do.

I guess it was worth documenting this?

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Steve (sdckapr) suggested unfreezing panes as a way to solve your problem.

I don't think this counts as a bug - the purpose of freezing panes is that you cannot budge the frozen columns and rows, so it's not unreasonable that you cannot make column A visible if it is frozen AND scrolled off the screen.

Thanks

Thank you Steve and Hans!

Aha! As is often the case, 'freeze panes' is a more powerful command than meets the eye.

Scenario: I place the cursor, by mistake, at B2 and freeze panes. I scroll off to the right and find that I really want to see both A and B when I scroll right. I scroll back until I can see B and unfreeze and refreeze with the cursor at C2. Naively I anticipate that 'home' will be at C2 and that I will see A and B and Row 1 as I scroll downwards and to the right. I fact, I can set things up so that I only see B and not A. Clever, but not quite as intuitive.

This is OT, but recently I've found that the Undo function in Excel certainly does not parallel the Undo function in its Office companion Word. Correct me if I am wrong, but Excel seems to store all its possible 'undo's' in one stack. If I have several spreadsheets open (perhaps it makes a difference if I open them as individual launches of excel.exe?), when I am shutting down the windows I am asked, "do you want to save the changes in ***.xls?" If I reach for 'undo' to see what change I made, often I find myself in another window where I made my last change, not in the window I started to close. I have to decide if that change is legitimate and then elect to close the now open window, whether or not that is my intention. Then I can try to use 'undo' again to see if I perhaps made an earlier change in the window I first started to close. Often, before I close the last few windows the 'undo' arrow is grayed out. As I close the last window or two I'm asked if I want to save changes I can no longer confirm by using 'undo.' More than once I've agreed with great reluctance. I gather there is a basic difference between Excel and Word in that Excel is much more concerned that 'personal.xls' might be changed, restricting changes to the first window opened; I've never seen Word as concerned about 'normal.dot.' This behavior occurs despite the default for each new document or spreadsheet seeming to be seen as an 'alt/tab' accessible window. Has Redmond gotten around to making its 'office suite' more consistent with its more recent offerings?

If this question is deemed worthy of an individual post, I'll be glad to give it its due as such.

Thank again,
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2002 and 2003 still have a single undo stack for all open workbooks. It only holds 16 actions, while that in Word is only limited by available memory. In Excel 2007, it has been increased to 100 actions, and saving a workbook no longer clears the undo stack.

Excel *always* prompts you to save Personal.xls if it has changed.
    In Word, there is an option "Prompt to save Normal template" in the Save tab of Tools | Options. If this is off (the default), Word saves Normal.dot without asking; if it is on, you'll be prompted. I always turn this option on, because I don't want Normal.dot to be saved by accident if I have been experimenting.

Thanks

Hans,

Thank you for clearing this up, and for the suggestion regarding 'normal.dot.'

I'll refrain from any comments about cooperation among the development teams in Redmond. The evidence speaks for itself.

Thanks again for all the help the last few days.
    Baumgrenze