1. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prevent files from being copy or deleted (XP)

Hi, I've not seem this being done in windows before. I would like to allow a user to be able to open documents for viewing purpose such as powerpoint, word, excel, etc. But I would like to prevent a user from deleting the files or copying the file to another location. Can this be achievable? Any help is appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prevent files from being copy or deleted (XP)

Is this on a local drive or on a network drive? On a network drive, you (or rather the network admin) can take away Delete permissions from most users. But if the user is able to open a document, he/she can use File | Save As to save it in another location. It is difficult to prevent that.

4. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Awesome, how about to prevent copy of a file to other locations? I noticed in the permissions has the options for delete but not for copy. Any suggestions?

5. Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What you want cannot be done using standard security settings - if a user can access a file, he or she can copy it to another location; there is no Copy permission on a file or folder that you can turn off. You'd need special security software that sits between the server and the user and monitors file transfers. See Prevent copying files from shared folders to remote computers.