4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening slow in 2007 (2007)

This is one of those questions that may be impossible to answer but I know that people in this lounge are sometimes in the impossible business, so here we go.

I have a database that I have inherited from someone else, so I don't know exactly how it is put together. That didn't stop me from making changes to it and they all seemed to work OK, until now.

It is a calendar database that keeps track of scheduled vacations. It is linked to another database, where the employee information is kept. Basically, when you open the calendar form, which opens by default, you see the calendar for the current year and you can tell what days are available for vacations by the color assigned to each day. It really works very well and has made it much easier than keeping everything on paper.

I am using Access 2007 while everyone else is using 2003. The plan is to upgrade everyone to 2007 in September. Here's the problem, and it started when I got 2007, when I open the DB it just crawls across the screen opening up. It has to draw a frame for every day of the year and fill in the colors and it just seems to take forever, (OK, 20-30 seconds, still a long time) and everytime you go to make a change, add a person to a day or look up someone's scheduled days off, it also takes a long time. On the 2003 machines, it just pops right up and is ready to go. When you make a change, such as adding a person's vacation to a day, it is almost immediate.

I don't know why there would be such a difference but I need to figure it out before September or no one will want to use it.

I don't know that I can post the DB for somebody to look at, since it is linked to another DB, it may not work anyway. Would this have anything to do with DAO vs. ADO. I don't know which one is being used or which one should be used, or even how to tell but when the code opens for the form, this is part of the code:

Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim rst2 As New ADODB.Recordset

Again, not sure what that means, if anything. The code that runs is extensive, I printed out the code for the calendar form and it is 35 pages long, the majority of it is setting up each day of the calendar correctly.

I hope there is a solution to this. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening slow in 2007 (2007)

I don't have Office 2007, so I cannot offer anything constructive. Searching Google web and newsgroups results in a large number of complaints about slowness of Access 2007 compared with Access 2003. So you're not the only one...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you have a *very* compelling reason to migrate to Office 2007 now, I'd stay with 2003 at least until SP1 has been released. The first release of Access 2003 was very buggy, and most of the problems were solved in SP1...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's not one of those things that I have a choice in, people 2,000 miles away, in nice offices surrounded by tech support people get to make those decisions. I'm just the guy that is supposed to tell everyone what a great thing it is going to be.

Except for trying to get used to the "ribbon" and where the heck everything is located, I haven't had any problems with the other programs, I like this version of Outlook better than the last one. Access has been the only problem. You helped me with another problem on a different DB where everything worked fine in 2003 and not in 2007. I did a Google search as you suggested and at least, hey, I'm not alone! Thanks for being there for all of us.