3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Remote Desktop Connection (XP Pro)

For some reason while connected to another computer I lost the contact with the client. Of course now that I try to reconnect I get the message stating that there is already a connection in process. Other than have someone do a hard shut down, is there a method one can use to force a disconnection. As some work is done at night when no one is in the office, it would be beneficial to be able to force a disconnection if there are problems as just has described.

Thought that there might be something in Services that could I shut down in the active directory that would force a reboot of the client, but haven't been able to do so.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Remote Desktop Connection (XP Pro)

Hi There

When the session was ended, did you get any warning message similar to "The remote computer has ended the connection"?

It is unusual for this to happen as this happens to me on occassions and I am able to reconnect without an issue without any loss in my session which is happy to continue.

If you have another log in with admin rights that will allow you to get into the Task manager and get you to close down your previous session and allow you to log on again...worth a try.
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to do a remote shutdown from the command prompt:

shutdown -r -m machinename -f

or for your own purposes, shutdown /? and find out what you need yourself. I don't believe this option will work if the machine you're connecting to is a server though.

The account you're logged on to will have to be an administrator account on all machines, otherwise look at SysInternals PSTOOLS toolkit, which will give you a good option to specify a user name and password while initiating the shutdown (via PSShutdown).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank for the replies. There was no message when I lost the connection. I will try the shutdown command to see what happens.