4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autoruns/Winpatrol (Home/SR2)

Hi -

Am thinking I should run one or both of these programs. Would you suggest one over the other or use both to check up on one another?

I have used msconfig in the past. I am not a particularly "heavy" surfer and tend to revisit the same sites, so this may be overkill?

Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you,

Curious

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autoruns/Winpatrol (Home/SR2)

These programs have different purposes.

AutoRuns "shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them". That is very useful, since it is much more comprehensive than MSConfig, but ithat all it does. AutoRuns doesn't provide recommendations on what is good and what is bad, and it doesn't protect you against baddies.

WinPatrol "monitors your computer from Adware, Spyware, Worms, Trojans Horses, Browser Helper Objects and other Mysteryware." In other words, it is a security program that actively protects your computer. I don't know the program myself, but in general, using one or more anti-spyware applications is a good idea.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans.

Since Winpatrol is also a spyware app, I should then ensure another is NOT running at the same time--is that correct?

Curious

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many anti-spyware programs offer on-demand scanning and a realtime protection component.
    You can install multiple anti-spyware programs to use their on-demand scanning. But you are correct that you should use the realtime protection of only one of them. More than one might cause conflicts and have a negative impact on performance.