New Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Calendars (OL98) (98)

Sorry if this is a subject that has been covered in detail, but I am coming up with a lot more questions than answers. I went back to a post by Lappenlocker on 29-Jan-01 19:49, but that post did not receive any replies. Here is a similar set of questions.

Here is the issue. I have approximately 25 users who use Outlook 98 without Exchange Server. I need to know the best place to go for the following questions:

1. Can we share calendars without Exchange Server?
    2. I know that NetFolders is a possible solution, but that they don't work with XP. We may be moving to XP in the very near future.
    3. If NetFolders don't work with XP, how can we share calendars without Exchange Server?
    4. If we have to use Exchange Server, where can I go to find out information like cost, requirements, difficulty in maintenance, etc.?
    5. In Outlook 98, there is a Busy/Free section (Tools>>Options>>Calendar Options>>Free/Busy), but I ran into problems. I can specify a filename where my stuff is put, but I don't know what to put in the Search field to get it to read everybody else's file.

Any help in getting #5 to work would be much appreciated. Failing that, other options to explore would be nice.

I have been led to believe that administrating Exchange Server is a big deal, but have no experience in that area. I am the only IT person here, and I wear 3 hats, so I am reluctant to take on another full-time job.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Calendars (OL98) (98)

1) no, not really, not easily.
    2) correct - net folders is buggy anyway - and is gone from xp.
    3) check out online services, like visto or mycalendar.com
    4) <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/>http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/</A>
    5) everyone should use the same location, the program keeps track of who is who.

Exchange is not that hard to admin- certainly no harder than admin for any other server or network, just different. For 25 users, the benefits of using exchange over netfolders or other hacks will be well worth the cost.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Calendars (OL98) (98)

Thanks for the response. Just to let everyone know, I have figured out most of what I needed to do. I had originally said we needed shared calendars, but that was only part of the problem.

Problem 1: We needed to be able to see everybody's Free/Busy time (where "everybody" is the 20 or so users in our office).

Problem 2: We have Officers who share 1 Admin Assistant, and they want her to manage their calendars, especially when they are on the road.

For Problem 1, I finally figured out what needs to be done, based on reading sources too numerous to list here.

(This may be ancient information for many readers, but I hadn't been able to find it in one place. I hope this helps new readers.)

To Access Free/Busy Information Without Exchange Server
    For our office, we can access everybody's Free/Busy by making everybody publish their Free/Busy times to a shared directory on the server. This is done by going into Tools>>Options>>Calendar Options>>Free/Busy Options and setting the checkbox to publish the Free/Busy information, and then specifying the filename in the Publish field, using a format similar to this:

Publish at this URL: file:///s:calendarsjohndoe.vcf

Then, for each contact, you have to specify where they are publishing their information. In Contacts, select a user and in the Details tab, specify the filename where they publish in the Internet Free/Busy Address field. So, for Richard Roe, I would specify:

file:///s:/calendars/richroe.vcf

For Problem #2 (Real Shared Calendars), as Mary said, you can't really get there without Exchange.

bobr