3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Connection Settings

Recently, WinXP got hopelessly hosed on my wife's computer. I'm still trying to figure out what happened and don't have a clue. I tried using the CD to repair it but was unsuccessful after half a dozen tries (and one mild heart attack). So, today I reinstalled XP Pro from the CD. I cannot get the network connection to operate. I'm using a D-Link USB network adapter on her system and a Netgear WGR826V 4-Port Wired/Wireless router. The system I'm typing on is cabled to the router and there are no other devices on the network. I got to the point where I could enter the long encryption key, twice, and had the wife watch as I struck each key being very careful to enter upper and lower case and symbols as appropriate. We did this 5 or 6 times. Each time I clicked on the CONNECT button and got a message stating that the key must be a certain length.

I know that I've had to re-enter the key before. It is a generated key that we keep carefully secured. In the past I've entered the key in my daughter's laptop and/or Her Ladyship's system and it came right up. Now I'm baffled.

Could someone point me to a very basic, 1-2-3 tutorial or procedure that will force me to check and verify all of the variables? I can't seem to debug this problem, but I had a mild heart attack last week and can't seem to concentrate as well as I did before.

TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Connection Settings

There are a number of different types of Key that a wireless connection could use. If the software says that your key is the wrong length then it is likely that it is looking for a completely different type of key.

Have a look at all the configuration parameters on the Wireless Access Point that relate to the key. I don't know the particular router you are using but the key type should include terms like WEP, WPA, PSK, TKIP. Check exactly what type of key you are using and make sure that the D-Link adapter is configured to use the same type of key.

Also some devices expect the key to be entered as a hexadecimal number, others will accept a different format using the full range of alphabetic characters to encode the same information. See if you can tell which of these your supposed to enter, this can sometimes be changed with a checkbox in the software.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Connection Settings

If all else fails, could you not simply reset the router and reconnect your devices?