Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address print (97)

A friend complained that he could no longer print envelopes. When I checked it was printing but in very pale pink. The immediate problem was the colour cartridge which wasn't printing yellow. My question to the lounge is why is it printing colour at all and what can I do to get it to print black. Even if I add the address to the document and then edit the font colour from automatic to black it continues to print pink.
    Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address print (97)

Does this problem only occur when printing envelopes? Can you print black text correctly from other documents, or from programs other than Word?

Does your printer have a self test option? Can you make sure that it is basically working properly.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes the problem relates exclusively to envelopes, even if the envelope is appended to the letter and the text in the envelope has been manually set to black. The letter prints from the black cartridge and the envelope from the colour one.

Other than the problem with the ink cartridge the printer appears to function properly.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I still don't understand if this is a Word problem or a printer problem.

What happens if you create a new blank document, set the page size to match your envelopes, and print something with black text on to an envelope?

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

I don't post often, but I have run into this problem.If you have not found the answer yet, try this.

You need to go into your printer 's Options. Select "Mono," Black and White," "Print Color Images as Black and White," or whatever your printer manufacturer calls it. Then select the "Save as Default Setting" option. If you need to print color in other applications, save the B&W setting with a unique name, and select it for envelope printing.

Inkjet printers tend to default to printing with the color cartridge, and using the colors to mix black. You have to force it to use the black cartridge. Our receptionist had the same problem last year, and this is the solution (per my inkjet cartridge engineering husband).

Rita

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I created a new page and printed some text which printed fine in black. I then changed the paper size to envelope and it printed in colour.

I also tried Rita's suggestion but this printer has been Delled and I was unable to find that option. Perhaps I need to look harder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange, this does sound like a problem with the printer driver. Is there an updated driver on the Dell web site?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now why didn't I think of that. I'd reloaded the original but . . .