Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Removing passwords from IBM ThinkPad 570

I've been asked to 'get into' an oldish IBM ThinkPad 570, on which a former worker at a local charity has set up an unknown number of passwords. I've found the Hardware and User Guides on the internet, and managed to overcome the power-on password by shorting two connectors together, as suggested. Now when I power it up (and that's another story in itself, since it took me 15 mins to find the power-on button mechanism!) it asks for a password before boot, either from just leaving it or from pressing F1 to attempt to enter the BIOS.

Unfortunately, the ThinkPad manuals say that there is no way to recover the supervisor or the hard disk password (probably at least the former is set). You have to replace the motherboard or the hard disk, respectively! No, I am not joking!

Some enthusiastic Googling revealed that a chap offers a method whereby you solder up some discrete components on a bread-board (he doesn't supply a finished article, or even the components themselves) and use his software to discover or remove the passwords. Cost: $45 plus the components you have to buy and assemble yourself.

Obviously we have tried a number of likely passwords, but without success. Each three attempts requires a power-off and power-on sequence. Since there are seven possible character positions, and 26 characters plus 10 numbers to choose from for each, Google tells me that 36^7, the number of combinations (or is it permutations?), is 78 364 164 096, which seems a bit many to test.

Has anyone come across any other way of rendering a ThinkPad useful again? Otherwise it will be what I describe as 'a bin job'...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Removing passwords from IBM ThinkPad 570

You probably came across A1 Computer Tech yourself, and going but what I read there, you are on a hiding to nothing...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing passwords from IBM ThinkPad 570

Yes, I did -- and it seems the only hope is for them to find out enough about the chap to guess a password with slightly more success than I can!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...