Star Lounger
    Thanks

Completely remove Office 2000 from Windows XP (Office 2000 Pro/Windows XP Pro SP2)

(Edited by HansV to provide link to MSKB article - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

MS Office 2000 Professional
    Windows XP Professional

My Outlook started taking 5-10 minutes to open and forcing use of Virtual Memory. This happened very soon after a Blue Screen of Death.

I tried System Restore to go back to an earlier date. Nada.

I have uninstalled Office, tried removing as much as I could based on <!mskb=219423>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 219423<!/mskb> but every time I re-install Office, Outlook takes 10 minutes to open. I can also see based on the toolbar options (Lookout and Google) that Office was far from completely removed. Therefore I suspect that files and/or Registry entries that caused the problem are still there.

I have trawled the web but not found any semblance of a solution to my problem. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks, David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Completely remove Office 2000 from Windows XP (Office 2000 Pro/Windows

Have you tried repairing your Personal Folders file? See Outlook Inbox Repair Tool.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Completely remove Office 2000 from Windows XP

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't try that. There was no indication that the Personal Folders file was unwell.
    Other symptoms were spell checker not working.
    Someone suggested removing outcmd.dat which I did. I did a few other things and then re-installed for the tenth time. Thank God so far all is well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi David,
    Instead of looking at the symptom, you may want to look at what-ever you might have recently changed in your firewall/virus checker area? Some of these apply their hooks into your outlook for virus checking emails, etc.
    I had a similar situation where an outpost update un-did what I had set for their preferences.
    Just a thought.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. The only virus changes I made was to download the weekly updates. Anyway, as said in an earlier post someone suggested the outcmd.bat file as a potential culprit and that seems to have been the solution so far.