3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting a 'Cached' rdp file (Windows XPP/SP2)

I have a user that has somehow corrupted his saved .rdp file for logging on to our terminal server through a VPN connection. I have deleted the saved .rdp file and tried to create another one. Now I am only given the option to type in the computer name (server's IP address). I am not given the option to type in a user name. To the side of User Name it says: (none) and no way to edit it. I should have this option so that I can type in his network user ID. Also, before I had an option for Password and Domain. I no longer have those fields either. The problem arises when the user tries to login to the terminal server. The User Name is prepopulated with his network userID with the addition of our terminal server's IP address (smith10.x.x.x0). The IP address should not be part of the user name. I have deleted the saved .rdp file and the Default.rdp file but I am still getting the same issue when I try to create a new .rdp or even just try to log on to the terminal server via Remote Desktop Connection. It prepopulates the User Name. Of course, I can manually delete the user name and reenter it correctly but I don't want the user to have to do that. Can someone help me? Is there a cache in the registry someplace that should be deleted?

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: Deleting a 'Cached' rdp file (Windows XPP/SP2)

Using the regsitry editor, have you tried searching the registry for the server IP address? That should get you in the right area for any user names which might be stored in the registry.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting a 'Cached' rdp file (Windows XPP/SP2)

Thanks, Joe. I had some other help and we figured out that the user had downloaded and installed the newest verision of rdp and saved his password. That is why the user name was coming up with the server IP address as part of the user name. I ended up editing the Default.rdp file so that each time it is used you must enter the user name and password, i.e., they are not pre-filled.