New Lounger

Max Reliability?

Hi, I'm new so if this has been covered in posts my search didn't find please forgive and direct me.

I am developing a data logger system based around USB measurement hardware and software written in Visual Studio. My systems will sit thousands of miles away, untouched, for months, on-line with VPN and remote control software to modify the setup and collect the data. All this works OK, until it doesn't. If I lose my internet connection, software crashes, or whatever, it's big trouble if you can't reach the reboot switch.

So my question is: What is the most reliable version of Windows for this. I'm using Win 2k Pro on some systems, XP on some, my current laptop has Vista Business and has not impressed me. I suspect XP with the latest SP is the right answer, with updates turned off, but if there's any advice out there I'd like to learn what works best. Maybe a version of server is more bulletproof?

As a secondary matter I see the hard drive LED flashing all the time even when a 2Kpro or XP is sitting "doing nothing." I'd like to minimize power use and maximize HD life so I'm wondering
    if I could set up a boot process that moves whatever files are in use all the time to a virtual disk or PCMCIA or USB memory card and only have the hard drive run when there's data to
    save (or maybe that could be on the mem card too). What is using the hard drive all the time?

Thanks for any help or references.

Silver Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Re: Max Reliability?

What is using the hard drive all the time?

RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff

How to optimize Windows memory usage:

Windows 2000 Professional and Server Services Configuration 411
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Configurations

Maybe a version of server is more bulletproof?

Generally it is, BUT in your case consider to install an array of hard disks instead.
    For more information, please read Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID) and following pages.