3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista and win 2000 network (home premium)

Just got new laptop with vista preinstalled, and having really miserable time having my computer tell me what I can and cannot do. Plenty of questions to follow, once I've had time to run searches for each, but current biggest issue is not being able to see my windows 2000 laptop in my network, despite being able to ping it.

So, this is what I have done: disabled firewalls on both laptops, create a user on vista laptop with same username and password as one on win2k laptop, checked that workgroup for both laptops is Workgroup, shared a folder on each laptop, set my network type to private on vista machine.

Still can't see it.

Suggestions welcome - can't seem to find my answer in any of the vista networking links in this group.

Thanks

PS network is wireless via dlink g604t router, but I don't think this is the issue, as I can ping (at least from vista to 2k machine).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Vista and win 2000 network (home premium)

See Troubleshooting file shares on a home network. It references XP a lot but should pertain to Win2k & Vista also. When you go through the steps be sure to record your results and post them if you still have problems. There are several good links at the bottom to other resources.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd already had a good look at this, thanks Joe, but for the record:

1) Physical connectivity - all good, and I mentioned that I could ping the IP addresses between the laptops.
    2) Firewalls - Kerio PF free on one, NIS on the other, both disabled
    3) All as it should be - IP addresses as expected, both laptops easily pingable from one another
    4) I'm already using same user name and password and same workgroup on both computers.
    5) I've enabled guest account on both computers, but netsh diag gui does nothing but bring up a dosbox window on win2k or vista.
    From the vista computer, NET USE computername|PC$ /user:username doesn't seem to work, but NET USE computernamePC$ /user:username returns error 53, network path not found, as does net view remotecomputer, whereas net view localcomputer executes successfully
    From the windows 2000 computer, NET USE computername|PC$ /user:username doesn't seem to work, but NET USE computernamePC$ /user:username returns error 67, network name not found, whereas net view remotecomputer, and net view localcomputer both execute successfully
    I see no sessions on either computer and all the expected shares.

I can actually see the vista laptop from the win 2000 laptop, which was a surprise, as with xp it had always been the other way round. Although I can see the shared folder, I cannot access it, however, despite the permissions for authenticated users being set to permit all except full control.

I deliberately haven't looked at all the XP refs, as I had the win 2000 laptop working OK with an XP computer before, and Vista seems so different (mostly in not letting one do stuff). I have been all through the vista file sharing reference, however, and not found anything useful.

Administrator
    Thanks

On the NET USE command it should be IPC$ (letter i). Do you have a switch or router that might be blocking ports?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

So that command executes successfully from my windows 2000 laptop, but gives the same error from the vista laptop.

I have a wireless router that's working as the network hub. It shouldn't be blocking ports between LAN clients, and it is exactly the same unit in the same setup as worked to network my windows xp desktop (which I no longer have) and my windows 2000 laptop (the same one as discussed here).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you right clicked on Start | Network and selected Properties? You can check and change network and sharing settings, run some diagnostics, setup connections etc.

Joe
    Joe