5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forms and protection (2000)

I've got form fields on the front page of a template and want to use a macro button to then update all the fields in the document with the bookmarked text.
    However, the macro halts because the document (first section) is protected. How can I get round this catch 22? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forms and protection (2000)

If you tick the "Calculate on exit" check box in the properties of the relevant form fields, references to these form fields will be updated automatically, without needing code.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - that works great.
    I'm trying to get an IF field working that refers to one of the form fields. I'm using a Checkbox and need to know the correct 'syntax'. I'm using { IF bkTick=0 "" "Alternative text" } but it's not working. What is the correct syntax? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, you cannot refer to the value of a form checkbox in an IF field. You'll need to write a macro and set it as the On Exit macro of the checkbox. You can use code like this in the macro:

If ActiveDocument.FormFields("bkTick").CheckBox.Value = False Then
    Else
    End If

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OOPS! I now need to copy bookmark text to another document - but I still can't do this while the main document is protected?! How can I unprotect a document using VBA to read the bookmark text? Thanks, Andy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually.. I've managed to unprotect it by how can I 'refer to' the FORMFIELDS 'text'? For example, Bookmarks("bkSome").Range.Text doesn't retrieve the text entered in the Form Field? Sorry about all these questions.. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Use the Result property of the FormField:

ActiveDocument.FormFields("bkSome").Result

Note that this uses the FormFields collection, not the Bookmarks collection. It can be used whether the document is protected for forms or not.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Here's a simple workaround:
    . In your protected document, create a SET field coded along the lines of '{SET BkMrk {REF Text1}}', where BkMrk is a bookmark name you can use in your target document and 'Text1' is the name of the bookmark set by your formfield.
    . In your target document, code your INCLUDETEXT field to refer to the new bookmark name in your source document.

No vba required.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm quite excited by your suggestion.. but can't quite follow it. What does the SET field do exactly, and what syntax does INCLUDETEXT use to refer to a Bookmark in another document?

Thanks (yourself and Hans), Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The SET field creates an invisible bookmark named BkMrk (or whatever name you specify) and sets the value of this bookmark to the value of the formfield.

To create the INCLUDETEXT field in the other document, select Insert | Field...
    Select INCLUDETEXT, then click the Field Codes button below the list of fields.
    Make the code look like this:

INCLUDETEXT "C:WordMyDoc.doc" BkMrk

substituting the correct path and field name of the document containing the formfields, and also specifying the correct name of the bookmark you created in the SET field.
    Finally click OK.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Andy,

The SET field simply creates a bookmark. To create the one in my previous post, you'd press Ctrl-F9 twice, to create a pair of nested fields, then fill in the details.

The INCLUDETEXT field is what Word uses to link material in one document to another. It's what Word Word creates behind the scenes when you select something in your source document and paste it into the target document using Edit|Paste Special|Link. If you then select the pasted material in the target document and press Shift-F9, you'll see something like:
    {INCLUDETEXT "C:My DocumentsSource.doc" "OLE_LINK1"}

Your can create your own such field via Insert|Field, or by pressing Ctrl-F9, and filling in the details. Taking the example from my previous post, you'd end up with something like:
    {INCLUDETEXT "C:My DocumentsSource.doc" "BkMrk"}
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]