Lounger
    Thanks

Setting different margins on page 1 (Word 2003 SP1)

Hi all

I am having a bit of a mental blank, I know I have done this before but cant figure out how I managed it. I have a document where I want the front page to have margins of top=1cm and bottom=4.5 with the rest of the document 2.54 all round. Can someone remind me how this is done.

Thanks in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting different margins on page 1 (Word 2003 SP1)

Insert a section break at the end of the first page. You can set the page margins for each section individually.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

If I am wanting to set the margins of the document different on the first page to the rest of the document but want the document set only to have one page when launched (a letter template for example) but have the ability to run on 2 pages with the different settings how is this done?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does your template contain some fixed text ate the beginning? If so, you could insert a continuous section break anywhere in this fixed text. Set the margins for the first section to 1 cm and 4.5 cm, and leave those for the second section to the default 2.54 cm. They will be used automatically when the user types enough text to start a second page.
    If you don't have fixed text, you can still insert a continuous section break, but you run the risk that the user might accidentally delete the section break when editing the document.

It would also be possible to use a macro to set the margins, but that seems overkill for this situation, and in general I prefer to avoid macros if they're not absolutely necessary.