Lounger
    Thanks

Checkbox is too small (2003 SP2)

I have added checkboxes from the Forms toolbar. How do I increase the size of a checkbox and its text?

Thanks

Re: Checkbox is too small (2003 SP2)

You can't. if you want to use the items from FORMS toolbar. the workaround is to increase the zoom size and then decrease the fontsizes in the spreadsheet.

If you use the items from the control toolbox, you have control of the Text size.

The thread at Check Box Button (Excel 97) has some alternates to the checkbox...

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

I actually started out with the checkbox from the control toolbox, but couldn't get it to resize or be marked. I'll try it again tomorrow, as well as the suggestions provided in the Check Box Button attachment you recommended.

Thanks, Diane

Thanks

Even with the control toolbox checkbox the size can not be changed only the size of the text...

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate your saving me the time of trying to make it work. Creating multiple forms requiring choices, calculations and shared information is not simple.

Thanks, Diane

Thanks

If you give some details of what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps we can provide a simler method or help you automate the repetitive task...

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

We send a loan request form created in Excel to our potential borrowers. The borrower will open the workbook and type their responses to most items. I've set up this item to use a checkbox (where I've typed an x here): Marital Status: x Single x Married x Divorced

I want them to click the checkbox to select the correct choice. I have several other items throughout the form also using a checkbox.

Diane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use a combo box (dropdown list) from the Control Toolbox instead, with options Single, Married, Divorced. You can set the size of the combo box and the font it uses the way you want.

Lounger
    Thanks

That will work. I can't figure out how to resize the 1 pt. font.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To change the font for the combo box, make sure that design mode is "on". The first button on the Control Toolbox toggles design mode on and off.
    Click on the combo box to select it, then activate the Properties window by clicking the second button on the Control Toolbox.
    Click on the Font property, then click the ... button on the right hand side, after the name of the font.
    You can specify the font name, style, size in the Font dialog, then click OK to return to the Properties window.
    If you want to change the font color, click on the ForeColor property, then click the ... button on the right hand side.

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

>>>>I've set up this item to use a checkbox (where I've typed an x here): Marital Status: x Single x Married x Divorced

Another option is to do it in a cell, with data validation applied, to choose from a list Single Married Divorced
    I've got one of these and have applied conditional formatting, too: cells start as pale yellow, and turn pale green when they cease to be empty ie are filled in.
    Applicants are told not to submit the form until all yellow cells have turned green.
    Best of luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

I resolved the problem of the tiny font size. The zoom size was 25% for that sheet. I changed it to 100% and resized all of the fonts throughout the sheet. Thanks for that suggestion! Other sheets in the workbook were 100% zoom - I inherited the project, and sheet one was already set up. I set up the additional sheets, but only edited the existing sheet 1 -- and didn't even think about the zoom size.

John, I also tried applying data validation and it works great. The only problem I have is because the drop-down box is outside the cell, it appears to be part of the next cell to the right. where I have other text. In Word I could split the existing cell and use the left portion of it for data validation, leaving the right portion for the drop-down box. The only way I can think of to do that in Excel is to insert an additional column (and having to unmerge existing cells where necessary, and then re-merge them afterwards ... in the 4-column, 63-row sheet).

The formulas used in other sheets within the workbook that reference the cells then having a new location PROBABLY will adjust (none are absolute). If not, I'll have to go back and reassign them.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Conditional Formatting ... Using your example, John, I can achieve green (Cell value is greater than or equal to "1", but I can't figure out how to achieve yellow. Can you help me with that?

Once it is set up properly, can I copy the conditional formatting of the cell to other cells, or must I go through the process individually for each cell?

Diane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In John Rose's example, the pale yellow is the default color of the cells, i.e. set in Format | Cells, Pattern tab.

You can set conditional formatting for one cell, then use the Format Painter (the toolbar button with the paintbrush) to copy it to other cells.
    Or you can select a range of cells and set up conditional formatting for all of them at once.