5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table with a Problem (Office 2000)

My brother has a Word document that someone else created that he cannot add text to so he sent it to me to see if I could fix it. In the row that he added to the table it looks like the text that you type in is extremely small, I mean too small to make out anything. I tried adding a row myself and it had the same characteristics. After blowing it up a lot I decided that what is showing is just the bottom edge of each character, as if the rest of the cell is hidden behind a mask. The existing rows in the table look OK except that each cell has a little quote mark in the upper left corner. The quote mark is in a special font that I have not identified and it is really small too. It can be deleted in the normal way but I can't find anything I can do to fix the bad row that we added. I tried adding another row using a different row to begin from and it came out OK so the document can be used for now. If anyone has any idea what is wrong with this table, I would appreciate hearing.

However, what I really want to know is if anyone can suggest any way to transfer the table data into a new table? That document was probably created a number of years ago but it was accepted by my Word 2000 without any complaints.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Table with a Problem (Office 2000)

Hi Bill,

Can you attach a cut-down copy of the document with just the problem table? That would make it much easier to diagnose the problem - there's a number of possibilities.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are many possibilities here, but the one that I have seen most commonly is Line Spacing. Can you have a look in Format Paragraph and see if you have "Exactly" specified in the line spacing box.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart & macropod,

First, I had checked all the font characteristics and found nothing wrong but I didn't know about that paragraph setting. Stuart, you were right, the line spacing was set to Exactly 2.6! Correcting that has fixed the primary problem but I am still puzzled about the thing that looks like a quote mark that was in the upper left corner of each cell. I have already deleted a number of them but there are still a couple in the little sample of the document that I am attaching. This document is a 12 page table that is preceded by one paragraph. I have deleted the paragraph and almost all of the table. The result is attached. I have left the paragraph marks display on because these little 'quote' marks don't show unless it is on. I'll be interested to hear if you have any idea what kind of control character that is. BTW, I created the attached document before fixing the original problem so it still has the squeezed up line in the second row under the Address heading. I entered 'problem' into that cell.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "quote marks" are the bottom part of paragraph marks. There is an empty paragraph before the text in each of the cells in the first row. If you set line spacing to single for the first row (or for the entire table), you'll see the entire paragraph marks appear.

BTW, whether you show paragraph marks or not is a user setting, not a document setting

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

You are so right! I just discovered that when I selected the whole table and set the line spacing to Single! I didn't realize that the paragraph marks displaying was not a document setting.

Thanks for helping out.
    Bill