New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Vista/VB 6 Problem (Microsoft Vista/Visu

I've written a fairly complex program utilizing Visual Basic 6. It resides on my Server with the path to it being AttorneyMain Drive. "Attorney" is the name of the Server and "Main Drive" is the name of the C Drive on the Server. I have several computers on the network including my personal laptop.

Several years ago I began running my Visual Basic 6 program on my laptop by simply changing my laptop's name to "Attorney" and it's C Drive to "Main Drive". I recently purchased a new laptop with Microsoft Vista as its operating system. When I now perform the exact procedure that I have always utilized, I receive an error message stating that the path to AttorneyMain Drive cannot be found. Could this be caused by Microsoft Vista? If not, does anyone know why this is happening?

As always, I greatly appreciate any assistance!

Bob Nichols

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Vista/VB 6 Problem (Microsoft Vista/Visu

To solve your problem more information is needed. As I understand, you connected two computers with the same computer name (attorney) to the same network, is it correct? If so, this will not work with Windows Vista. If a computer with the same computer name already exsists on the network, Windows will refuse to connect to any other computer. Which OS are you running on attorney server?

Give your laptop with Windows Vista a unic computer name. Then logon to your server (attorney) to the account with administrator rights and create an account with the same username and password as you use as working account on your Vista laptop. Assign corresponding rights (user, power user, administrator, etc) to this account. Make sure that C: drive is shared and a share name is "Main Drive".

Then logon to your Vista laptop to your working account, make sure that your network is detected and navigate to attorney server, then Main Drive. Map "attorneymain drive" as logical drive (say, V) and make sure that option "Reconnect at logon" is selected.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Vista/VB 6 Problem (Microsoft Vista/

I am sorry for not being clear. I am not logging on the network with two computers with the same name. I want my laptop to use the VB6 program which also resides on my server. To do this the laptop needs to be able to have the identical ID but it is not on the network. When I rename it Attorney and the C Drive Main Drive it still does not work. Is there a reason it will not work with Vista? It worked with all preceding versions of Windows?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Vista/VB 6 Problem (Microsoft Vista/

Now I got it.
    Do you run your VB6 program with elevated administrator rights? Did you disable Windows firewall before running the program? Explanation: if the program requires network path - servershare - instead of absolute path - D:folder , it have to have rights to access the network. Even if your computer does not connected to the network, the program "sees" it as a network with only one computer connected (with IP address 127.127.127.0). In other words, computer 127.127.127.0 must be accessible to your VB6 program.