Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PDF Software to Overlay

Hi,

Looking for a solution. We have a four page word document (it is always four pages). Want we want to do is to print this to PDF so that we can create an electronic version of the material (on headed paper, etc). However the headed paper is different on all four pages.

I can find PDF printers to work when it is one type of headed paper.

I need to try and make this as hassle free as possible.

Anyone come across this before?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PDF Software to Overlay

I can't think of any way round this except to generate the "headed paper" within Word itself...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with John. Add section breaks to the Word document at the end of each page, and make sure that the header for the second and subsequent sections is not set to "Same as previous" in the Header and Footer toolbar, then create different headers for each section. You should then be able to use any PDF creator.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The difficulty then is to then print (hard copy) of the doucment off on headed paper. Unless you can tell word not to print the header/footer?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You never said that you actually wanted to print the document!

What would be wrong with printing it onto blank paper, since the PDF would contain the headers?

Or having a second version, this time without the headers, which you could print on the headed paper?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to include the headers in the PDF document so that it is independent of headed paper.
    If you want to use headed paper, you'll have to leave the headers out of the document.
    I think you'll have to put the different headed pages in the right order in the paper tray of the printer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm thinking along the lines of John and Hans, but also thought about using different headers padded out with blank space, to match your various headers on the paper. It might be possible to draw in a blank shape or textbox or similar, where you can set the actual dimensions of the white space, rather than fiddling with blank line heights etc.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay,

have had a thought on this a bit more.

As this will be used with access I am thinking of the following.

The original word document without any changes (apart from the text in it). This document does change frequently during the course of a house sale. The word document path will be stored in the database record.

From access I can tell it to merge the written word document onto a blank word document (with background images as the headers), which can then printed to the pdf file easily.

Is this possible?

So it can be done on a command button that would basically 'overlay' but using the use of merging the documents?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't do much with Access, but I'm sure one of the experts will chime in. I'm not sure on why Access comes into play here, rather than just doing all you propose from within Word.

On the other hand, if the document is effectively a "fill-in form", including perhaps text blocks as some of the "fields", then Access might be the most appropriate way to store all the information relating to a sale in the first place. From there, you could "construct" the document from the field values (probably from within Access as a report) then send it to a PDF printer driver.

I'm sure the capability is there to incorporate graphic headers, but I'm unclear... do you want to print the final document to headed paper or plain paper?

Alan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Word are you using? 2007 will save PDF directly, but you can't go back and edit the PDF version you have saved. Otherwise, what are you using to convert the document to PDF? Acrobat?

How large an inventory of pre-printed headed paper do you have, and how high a quality is it? In other words, if you have already spent a fortune on high-quality professionally printed stock or have a standard source and jobber for it, then you certainly aren't likely to want to start dispensing anything of a lesser quality if it's a signature layout for your company.

Thanks

just a thought here, but why not create the document in Publisher?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Boilerplate is the word that comes to mind when you talk about anything that is as formulated as this, and i think that Alan was on the track in that regard.

It sounds like you have boilerplate hard copy and now want boilerplate PDF for transmission or online copy, and that is entirely legitimate. Boilerplate is a necessary evil. It can go horribly wrong, for reasons having nothing to do with the present discussion, but for reasons of content.

I think it should be very easy to do, but not necessarily from within Office. From what you have said, I presume that you are a business, and I would call in a pro if I didn't get a hard answer here fairly soon.

I probably shouldn't name names, but an informed purchase of an Adobe product (and learning how to use it) might solve your problem in short order. Microsoft chose to stay out of the PDF world until 2007, where Corel (WordPerfect etc.) was years ahead, and can now be had very inexpensively, and Microsoft is still out of it in all but document conversion. There is no need to give up Word, but there are other sources for applications that will handle PDF with aplomb.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Luke,

All you need to do this is a Word template with the appropriate headers embedded in it and code to select the appropriate pages from that template.

For your problem, the solution partly depends on whether each page always starts and ends at a consistent point.

If so, then a simple four-page template consisting of four sections and a different header for each section would do the job - even this could be simplified down to a two-section template if you use a differnt first-page header, plus different odd and even headers in the first or second section and include page breaks in the data exported from Access.

On the other hand, if the text needs to flow from one page to the next in one section, then you might still have two sections, but rely on just the different odd and even headers or just the differnt first-page header in either section to deal with that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response.

The text / layouts are separate for each page, there is no need to flow over the page with the text.

So the way forward is...?
    Best Regards,

Luke

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The document in question is property particulars for an estate agents. The stock of paper we print on is good quality pre-printed paper, compared to many agents it is premium particulars. The problem now comes to getting into an electronic version without having two parralell version.s
    Best Regards,

Luke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast