New Lounger
    Thanks

Dying Outlook (Outlook 2003 SP2)

My Outlook is in trouble. How can I fix it?

Here’s the problem, or at least, symptoms of it.

• Usually when I start Outlook a message says that Outlook wasn’t closed properly and it is checking for errors. The check can easily take 30 minutes.

• Migrating Outlook from one computer to another over time, and dealing with the odd hard drive crash has resulted in a total of seven “Personal Folders” all in the same Outlook.pst file.

• Exiting Outlook appears to update two Outlook.pst files simultaneously upon exiting. Two Outlook.pst files are saved with the same date stamp and time at two different locations on my computer.

I use Outlook 2003 SP2 and Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a Compaq nx7010 notebook.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dying Outlook (Outlook 2003 SP2)

1) Just to be on the safe side, quit all instances of Outlook and make a backup of all .pst files on your PC.
    2) Start Outlook, then select File | Data File Management...
    You can see here which data files (.pst) Outlook uses, and which one is the delivery location for new mail. Remove all other ones.
    3) Quit Outlook.
    4) Locate the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) and use it to repair the delivery .pst file. See How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 for instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Will Do.

New Lounger
    Thanks

There are two listings seen via "select File | Data File Management."
    Under the column heading "Name" both are listed identically as "Personal Folders."
    Under the column heading "Filename" both are listed identically as "E:MS OutlookOutlook.pst."
    Under the column heading "Comment" the first says "Mail delivery location" while the second is blank. I find this confusing and wonder whether I should delete the second one in line with instruction 2).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I'd try removing the second one. If both are removed from the list, you can always add it again.