3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing Outlook Calendars (XP)

We have two computers in our office and are networked. I thought it would be possible to put our Outlook calendar into a shared folder so my boss could access it. However, I can't determine where Microsoft stores that calendar. Is this do-able?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Outlook Calendars (XP)

I assume that you are not using Microsoft Exchange.

Like e-mails, calendar items are stored in your .pst file, and .pst files cannot be shared, but there are third-party tools that enable you to share your Outlook calendar. See Sharing Microsoft Outlook Calendar and Contacts.

Thanks

There are actually two ways that you can do this besides publishing the calendar, and both revolve around e-mail.
    First make sure that both of you have two calendars in your calendar folder. One is the default and the other is the other persons.
    Put a check mark in the box of the calendar that you want to share, and uncheck the main calendar. If the main calendar is the one you want to share, then do not do any of the above steps but move onto the next one, Outlook 07 uses .ics format to share the calendar. Click on "Send a Calendar via e-mail", and follow the prompts. At this point you will notice that an e-mail pops up, and has an attachment calendar.ics. It is here that you can either choose to send it to the other computer via an e-mail, or you can simply right click on that attachment and save it to a shared folder.
    CAUTION! Because the two calendars are named the same, if you install this into the main calendar on the other computer it may overwrite the other. Hence I suggest setting up different calendars with different names so that that does not happen. See screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm quite sure it doesn't in Outlook 2002 (XP). Perhaps in Outlook 2007?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Another "left-field" option is to getGMail accounts and publish your Calendars there with shared access. I had a limited period experience where I did this while I was in an office transition, not great, but viable, and free.

Another possibility for you to research; Microsoft Small Business Server which has an Exchange (mail server) component - states that it supports calendar sharing.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

John, are you sure that Sharing options functions with non-Exchange addresses? (In 2003, there's a Sharing option, but it doesn't work outside the local Exchange server.)
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

My Bad! It is in Office 2007 and not in XP
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you test it on someone who is not on Exchange server, such as someone with a Gmail or Hotmail account, and post back your results?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Yes,
    I tested it to my @msn.com account and it came through as an attachment and was also in the body of the e-mail. See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused - your attachment is a .jpg, not a .ics file ... do you have an innocuous .ics file you can post as a sample? Does the .ics file contain more than one calendar event?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

John,
    This is an actual .ics file for my NASCAR Calendar. Anyone with Outlook 2007 can by clicking on it add it to their calendar.
    The answer to your other question, is yes. when you send the calendar, you can choose to send or not send the followingate Range (Today, Tomorrow, Next 7 days, Next 30 days, Whole Calendar, or Specify dates, Details: (Full Details, Available Only, Limited Details). You can also include: details of items marked private, or you can include attachments within calendar items. You can also choose your e-mail layout to either list of events, or Daily schedule.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. In 2003 and earlier, a .ics file can only carry a single appointment - and when I open your file attachment with Outlook 2003, it only sees one appointment (the Sat 2/10/2007 10:00 am race); I guess that is the first in the series you attached?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Yes 2/10/07 was the first race of the season. However the .ics file I sent you was for the entire season.
    Thanks John