5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OpenRecordset (2003/2007)

The following code bombs out with the message:runtime error 2466.
    If I just open the recordset without specifying dynaset I get: error 3464 data type mismatch in expression
    Any ideas?
    Thanks and great to be back

strSql = "SELECT tblPhoneEmail.TypeID, tblStudents.txtLastName, tblYear.txtYear, tblPhoneEmail.txtInfo FROM (tblStudents LEFT JOIN tblPhoneEmail ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblPhoneEmail.StudentId) RIGHT JOIN (tblYear RIGHT JOIN tblStudentYear ON (tblYear.YearId = tblStudentYear.lnkIdYearStud) AND (tblYear.YearId = tblStudentYear.lnkIdYearStud)) ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblStudentYear.IdStudent WHERE (((tblPhoneEmail.TypeID) = 5) And ((tblYear.txtYear) =" & [Forms]![frmMAin]![list] & "))ORDER BY tblStudents.txtLastName;"

Debug.Print strSql
    Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSql, Dynaset)

This is the SQL that I get which works:
    SELECT tblPhoneEmail.TypeID, tblStudents.txtLastName, tblYear.txtYear, tblPhoneEmail.txtInfo FROM (tblStudents LEFT JOIN tblPhoneEmail ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblPhoneEmail.StudentId) RIGHT JOIN (tblYear RIGHT JOIN tblStudentYear ON (tblYear.YearId = tblStudentYear.lnkIdYearStud) AND (tblYear.YearId = tblStudentYear.lnkIdYearStud)) ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblStudentYear.IdStudent WHERE (((tblPhoneEmail.TypeID) = 5) And ((tblYear.txtYear) =2008)) Or (((tblPhoneEmail.TypeID) = 6) And ((tblYear.txtYear) = 2008)) Or (((tblPhoneEmail.TypeID) = 7) And ((tblYear.txtYear) =2008))ORDER BY tblStudents.txtLastName

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OpenRecordset (2003/2007)

What happens if you use

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSql, dbOpenDynaset)

i.e. dbOpenDynaset instead of just Dynaset, which is not a defined constant?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

still getting error 3464. (BTW I had used dbopendynaset- just forgot to type that)
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The instructions that set strSQL can be simplified to
    <code>
    strSQL = "SELECT tblPhoneEmail.TypeID, tblStudents.txtLastName, tblYear.txtYear, tblPhoneEmail.txtInfo " & _
    "FROM (tblStudents LEFT JOIN tblPhoneEmail ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblPhoneEmail.StudentId) " & _
    "RIGHT JOIN (tblYear RIGHT JOIN tblStudentYear ON tblYear.YearId = tblStudentYear.lnkIdYearStud) " & _
    "ON tblStudents.StudentID = tblStudentYear.IdStudent WHERE tblPhoneEmail.TypeID In (5,6,7) And " & _
    "tblYear.txtYear = " & [Forms]![frmMain]![list] & Chr(34) & "ORDER BY tblStudents.txtLastName"</code>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

it was the Char34 that did it. That was dumb!