Thread: Outlook (2003)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook (2003)

When I input telephone numbers in my Office Outlook 2003 address book I want the numbers to show as: xxx-xxx-xxxx. However, when I input the phone number this way, the format is changed to: (xxx) xxx-xxxx. When I try to override it, it just changes it back to using parentheses, rather than hypehenated. Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook (2003)

I think this format is hard-coded and cannot be changed. I found a newsgroup thread stating that a fixed, consistent format is necessary to enable synchronizing contacts with mobile devices.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook (2003)

The format is coded to the layout convention of your country. Click on the "location" button to the left of the number, and the popup dialog will show a country - you are probably in North America, where (xxx) xxx-xxxx is the standard North American Numbering plan default layout. Microsoft is trying to be helpful by parsing your number into the standard layout for your country. If you remove the parens, use alternative separators, or play with it, it may add the international dialing code prefix (+1 in the US). I have seen Exchange numbers imported by Server Admin as all dashes, but if you click that location button, MS will try to parse it. If it's acceptable, you can use periods instead of hyphens - Outlook doesn't seem to parse them.

Otherwise, as Hans notes, you probably can't do anything about it - I would just live with it. There may be Telephony registry hacks to change this, but on a quick search through the registry I didn't find any, and in any case registry hacks may munge other parts of Windows telephony operations.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS